Removal of basement stink

Mr.Jerry

I just picked up a box of Desert storm uniforms & gear along with some iraqi bring backs, but the whole box has a really bad damp basement/mold stink to it. I know I can clean the shirts and such, but what about the boots and gear and Iraqi berets? any suggestions? Thanks!

Believe it or not, the UV rays from a very bright, hot sun is really good.

If it is a hot summer over there, open up your boots and leave them in the sun for about a week.

It kills bacteria and really dries them out...

As mentioned Jerry, dry heat will help remove the smell. If you can put the items in a small area and crank up a space heater it'll help. Note: The small place should not be in your house. As it warms up, the smell will be stronger for a period of time.

There is also a product called Starbrite M-D-G Mildew Odor Control Bags which use chlorine dioxide to kill mold smell. I've never used this so, I don't know how effective it is.

One thing that I have done is to wash the items in a sink/bath tub and then hung them out to dry in the direct sunlight. Once that is done, I place the items into a room with a dehumidifier for quite some time. Usually does the trick for me.

Case and point. I was at a surplus store a couple years back and found a VERY moldy and stinky experimental Alpine-Lowe large backpack. The mold and mildew smell was so bad, it was wrapped up into a garbage bag and kept away from the other items so as to not contaminate them with the mold.

I took the pack to our hotel bathtub and used a combination of Tide and COLOR SAFE bleach. I let the pack soak for about two or three hours, then rinsed it, and hung it up to dry. When we got back home, the pack was immediately put into one of the rooms with a dehumidifier. Believe it or not, this worked perfectly and there isn't even a trace of mold or that stinky smell.

Just a small caveat here. The color safe bleach didn't fade the nylon fabric of the pack. That isn't to say it won't fade other items. It shouldn't, but.....

I will often do a lite cleaning if possible.Then if the item isn't to large I place it in a small plastic grocery bad or a garbage bag with a dryer sheet or two for a couple weeks.Replacing the sheet as necessary. Works well for most odors.

With mold and mildew best to get it aired out or in the sun and use the above methods as well.All great suggestions. You will find one that works best.

I buy fair amount of stinky stuff and I soak it with FEBREZE (or a generic version) and put it out in the sun for a few days. It helps that I live in a climate where the humidity is usually pretty low (except this week)

Thanks Guys!

I have used the sun in the past with uniforms, of course we have RAIN and COLD here since I got them.

I will let the sun do its work on the major stuff and then see what I can do.

Its not high dollar stuff but I was happy it was saved from the dumpster!

Thank you all again!