WWII Chinese Air Force recruiting poster

mmerc20

Here is something I have never seen before. This appears to be some sort of recruiting poster for the Chinese Air Force brought back by a CBI vet. I got a very rough translation from a non-native speaker is "excellent for the young- Go to the Air Force" (or something very similar). I don't know what the bottom row says, but I'm guessing there aren't a lot of these out there.

Mike

post-3373-0-74178200-1410380595.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow. That is a really, really neat piece. I went to a Flying Tigers Reunion a year or so ago and would have loved to have had that to bring along.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

It would be really nice to make a high resolution scan available. I would love to have one of these in my shop. If someone can get me a good scan, I will give them a good, fade proof archival copy.

toad

I posted on Craigslist looking for assistance with a translation but never expected to receive such a detailed explanation like this!

Ok, you can see there are ten characters in the picture. Let’s start from left part.

到空軍中去 到空军中去(in mandarin)

到To 空軍Air force 中into 去 Go

Kind like, Go to the air force.

優秀的青年 优秀的青年(in mandarin)

優秀excellent, supreme 的Affiliation relation between those two words, ‘s in english 青年 young man

Kind like, excellent young man.

(bottom writing from left to right)

軍委會政治部印

Actually, characters in the picture is the opposite direction from what I type above. You should read this word from right to left in the picture. This is the name of an army department in KMT (Taiwan's ruling party nowadays) at that time.

軍委會政治部Political Department of the Military Council印 print or publish.

To me, this is like a recruitment ad for air force in kmt maybe at the time of Civil War in china or Anti-Japanese War. Hope I answer your question.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

According to my reference ("Cartoons of World War II" by Tony Husband, this book features many posters as well as cartoons) this is actually a propaganda piece by the occupying japanese forces in 1941. It is inviting 'talented young men' to join the Chinese air force.

I am not sure of the veracity of Mr. Husband's synopsis of the poster as it really does seem to be a recruitment poster for the Chinese Air Force, and I don't see how inviting recruits to join the enemy's forces helps the Japanese in 1941, but I thought I'd mention this poster is mentioned in print.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Any way you could email me a copy of that page Chris B?

I'll remember to bring it into work and scan it

• 3 months later...