Two War Pow, Survived Captivity in One, Died In The Other.

patches

I post this photo of one Master Sergeant Fastner 9th Inf, 2nd Inf Div as he embarking for Korea in July 1950 in the 1948 Regs chevron topic up in Ranks.

post-34986-0-22380800-1409545563.jpg

But there is so much more to the photo.

Master Sergeant Micheal C. Fastner a long serving soldier was a dedicated soldier, he entered the Army some time in the late 20s early 30s, Infantry. Serving obviously in WWII, in Europe, there he was taken prisoner (info on unit and more of his service in WWII,plus date and location of capture hopefully will soon be available) he made it through ok,and after VE-Day he stayed in. July 1950 seen Fastner shipping out for another war, this time in Asia.

In the Pusan Perimeter Fasther, a Platoon Sergeant, was seriously wounded in action, 6 September, he was evacutated, but returned to duty a little over a month later. November 30, the horrific Battle of Kunu-Ri, the 2nd Division was largely destroyed, so many Indianhead Division troops were Killed, many more wounded, Fastner like so many of his comrades with most of the wouneded was taken prisoner, they were the lucky ones, or were they? Fastner no doubt doing his duty till the very end, died at Prison Camp 5 on the south bank of the Yalu River on February 28, 1951 from exposure and malnutrition. His remains were not recovered. For his leadership and valor in the Korean War, M/Sgt. Fastner was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star Medal, the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, and the 2nd Award of the Combat Infantryman's Badge. Master Sergeant Michael Charles Fastner's name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Punchbowl, Honolulu Memorial.

As it would turn out, his remains were since then recovered and I.D.ed via DNA in 2011. Master Sergeant Fastner is now buried at Ft. Snelling National Cemetery.

As mentioned hopefully more info on his earlier 30s service and WWII service will become available.

Master Sergeant Fastner as a little Private, 3rd Infantry Regiment circa late 20s early 30s. Depending on when the photo of him was taken, the Old Guard was a part of either the 6th Division or the 7th Division in them days, stationed at Fort Snelling Minnisota. It's interesting that after his remains were recovered in 2011 that he was buried at Snelling, the post where he apparently began his Army service all those long years ago.

post-34986-0-12422600-1410314791.jpg

I was sent a little more info on him by my contact who's on Deep Background :D

As you see on this page I was way off on his Service entry Date, but that was because of conflicting, incomplete, and vague on line source that was hard to decipher. But he was in the 3rd Inf for sure when he first went in, July 1939, means 7th Division October 1939, 3rd Inf goes back to 6th Division. We are now able to see his WWII service.

He was in the 42nd Division in WWII and was awarded the Silver Star.

post-34986-0-56126300-1410368321.jpg

http://veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=1559

• 2 weeks later...
freedomhistory

Great photo of a forgotten American hero. Thanks for sharing. He is buried in Fort Snelling National Cemetery here in the Twin Cities. I published a book THE WORLD WAR II VETERANS OF FORT SNELLING NATIONAL CEMETERY with University of Minnesota Press. I am putting together a broader book THE VETERANS OF FORT SNELLING NATIONAL CEMETERY. I would like to include Master Sergeant Fastner's story. Can you email me at [email protected]?

Best,

Steve

Great photo of a forgotten American hero. Thanks for sharing. He is buried in Fort Snelling National Cemetery here in the Twin Cities. I published a book THE WORLD WAR II VETERANS OF FORT SNELLING NATIONAL CEMETERY with University of Minnesota Press. I am putting together a broader book THE VETERANS OF FORT SNELLING NATIONAL CEMETERY. I would like to include Master Sergeant Fastner's story. Can you email me at [email protected]?

Best,

Steve

No need for personal E-Mailing Steve, we can conmunicate here on USMf,, just shoot me a Personal Message, a PM.

• 3 years later...

Patches,

A great photo of a true hero. I'm sorry that I didn't see it earlier. I do have to disagree with you one his length of service though. You should notice that he is wearing two WWI overseas chevrons above his five hash marks. The hash marks show at least fifteen years of service, but I would bet that his original service goes back to 1917 or so. Like many WWI veterans, it appears that he probably left the service after WWI and then came back sometime in the 1920's.

RIP MSG Fastner.

Allan

I think your looking at the the guy on the right in the first picture Allan. Isnt MSF Fastner on the left?

That's right Allan and RECON, Fastner is in fatiques with weapon and web gear, what originally grabbed my attention was that Fastner is wearing a stenciled version of Master Sergeant stripes that appear to be the exact size of the then current 1948 reg chevrons, this rather than the larger WWII size stencils of stripes.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15917-blue-gold-chevrons-1948-1951/page-3

After I posted this photo in the above topic, a further search led me to the full story on Fastner, prompting me to give a topic of it's own on him. I also posted this photo again in an already running topic pointing out the old timer with the WW chevrons, but I can't find that one :D

Greetings Patches,

Here is a newspaper's article where MSG Fastner was interviewed after his ship's arrival in Korea. It can be enlarged by double clicking on the article. However, it is still a bit hard to read, but can just be managed.

Best,

V/r Lance

post-31352-0-28612900-1536068049_thumb.jpg

Greetings Patches,

Here is a newspaper's article where MSG Fastner was interviewed after his ship's arrival in Korea. It can be enlarged by double clicking on the article. However, it is still a bit hard to read, but can just be managed.

Best,

V/r Lance

Thnk's for that Lance

• 3 years later...