Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input

P51Fan

I have been working on a project for some time now and was hoping to get some advice from other aircraft enthusiasts. I have been working on identifying 52 fighter planes that are currently still active in the armed forces somewhere around the world. I tried to create a list that best represents aircraft from all over. I would love if you could take a moment and look over the list of fighter planes below and let me know if you think I either missed one that deserves to be on there or if there is one on the list that is no longer in service anywhere. Here are the fighters:

1. Aero Vodochoy L-159 Alca

2. AIDC F-CK-1 Ching-kuo

3. AMX A-1

4. Atlas Cheetah

5. BAE Systems Hawk

6. Boeing EA-18G

7. Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet

8. Chengdu FC-1

9. Chengdu J-7

10. Chengdu J-10

11. Dassault Mirage 2000

12. Dassault Mirage III

13. Dassault Rafale

14. Embraer EMB 314 Super Tucano

15. Eurofighter Typhoon

16. Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt

17. FMA IA 58 Pucara

18. FMA IA 63 Pampa

19. Grumman A-6 Prowler

20. HAL Tejas

21. HESA Saeqeh

22. IAI Kfir

23. IAI Lavi

24. Lockheed Martin F-104S Starfighter

25. Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon

26. Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

27. Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightening II

28. Lockheed Martin T-50 Golden Eagle

29. McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom

30. McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II Plus

31. McDonnell Douglas CF-18

32. McDonnell Douglas F-15 Strike Eagle

33. Mikoyan MiG-23

34. Mikoyan MiG-27

35. Mikoyan MiG-29

36. Mikoyan MiG-31

37. Mitsubishi F-1

38. Mitsubishi F-2

39. Nanchang Q-5

40. Northrop Grumman F-5A Freedom Fighter

41. Northrop Grumman F-5AE Tiger II

42. Northrop T-38 Talon

43. PAC JF-17

44. Panavia Tornado

45. Saab JAS 39 Gripen

46. Sepecat Jaguar S16

47. Shenyang J-11

48. Shenyang J-15 Flying Shark

49. Sukhoi Su-27

50. Sukhoi Su-30

51. Sukhoi Su-34

52. Sukhoi Su-35

What's the reason for the list? I have been designing a deck of playing cards that are a modern twist to what are known as Spotter Cards created during WWII for Allied forces to help memorize and identify the silhouettes of aircraft so that they can tell friend from foe. I just started a Kickstarter project using the planes above as the inspiration for the playing cards. I even have two drones for the Jokers (Elbit Hermes 450 Drone and the General Atomics MQ-1 Predator Drone). I really would like your input on whether or not these planes are the best to have. What do you think?

post-154155-0-54428800-1410309462.jpg

Nice list.

The Grumman Prowler is actually the EA-6B, not the A-6.

Chris

Duly noted, I've had someone in another forum say that the prowler should not be considered a 'fighter' plane, what do you think?

The EA-6 and the T-38 are not fighter planes. Fighters are designed to fly in air-to-air combat and destroy other aircraft. The A-10 is technically not a flghter but a Close Air Support airframe, however one did shoot down an Iraqi helicopter.

The EA-6 and the T-38 are not fighter planes. Fighters are designed to fly in air-to-air combat and destroy other aircraft. The A-10 is technically not a flghter but a Close Air Support airframe, however one did shoot down an Iraqi helicopter.

Thanks Lee, any thoughts on what I could replace the EA-6 and T-38 with? My teenage son will probably kill me if I took out the A-10 since that is his absolute favorite plane.

Just had a quick look. The A-10s are assigned to fighter units and crewed by fighter pilots, so I think you're safe there. The F-104S has been retired. You left off the F-15C Eagle, which is different than the F-15E Strike Eagle as far as mission and crew size to be general. Greece still flies the A-7 Corsair II. And though not a fighter per se, the USAF has several units of AT-38s that can drop practice bombs, fire rockets and carry a gun pod. These are used to train future fighter pilots. Just giving you some variety there to choose from. Hope this helps.

Randy

EA-6 is more of an electronic Coutermeasures/Strike aircraft than a fighter type ,takeing out missile sites etc jamming radar along that line of work