The Ever Elusive Vietnam OD Towel

capa

Gary Ziegler

Here is a partial bundle still with the strings ties....

attachicon.giftowels.jpg

Is there a tag that provides the Federal Stock Number and/or contract number? I've been looking for that info but could not locate it anywhere online.

I have 4 towels that are identical with regard to size, which is approx. 20" w x 40" l, with a single 2" wide band at each end. The most distinguishing variation is the color. Based on distinct characteristics on each towel, I'm certain that all 4 were manufactured in the US and were USGI. In the photo, note that the top two have a distinct laundry number - in the US military format - stamped on the 2" band at the end (B-1112 and P-9753). Both of these number's are valid and were initially issued during WWII. Towels 3 and 4 bear the distinct CANNON trademark "MADE IN USA" label. Interestingly, one of the CANNON labels is white and one is OD green.

Nice collection. I would date all from WWII. From what I can tell, Canon means WWII era. Of course, some WWII gear was issued during Vietnam.

Gary Ziegler

I ran across this photo of a set of 4 single band OD towels years ago and saved it. They bear the name "Miller, A" and the laundry stamp "M-1489". I performed a search and discovered that the only Miller associated with the first initial "A" that had this laundry number was an Ano Miller, SSGT, enlistment date: 10 July 1946. Note that one of these towels has the while Cannon label (IMO this indicates 3 things: 1.) the towel with the white Cannon label had not been dyed. 2.) OD towels bearing the Cannon label were issued to US military personnel in the 1940's and 3.) the 20" x 40" towel with 2" single band at each end was standard military issue.

post-128769-0-99115200-1565127152.jpg

post-128769-0-89730300-1565127212.jpg

I ran across this photo of a set of 4 single band OD towels years ago and saved it. They bear the name "Miller, A" and the laundry stamp "M-1489". I performed a search and discovered that the only Miller associated with the first initial "A" that had this laundry number was an Ano Miller, SSGT, enlistment date: 10 July 1946. Note that one of these towels has the while Cannon label (IMO this indicates 3 things: 1.) the towel with the white Cannon label had not been dyed. 2.) OD towels bearing the Cannon label were issued to US military personnel in the 1940's and 3.) the 20" x 40" towel with 2" single band at each end was standard military issue.

Roger that!