The Ever Elusive Vietnam OD Towel

capa

For such an iconic object, and one that was common for that matter, finding a Vietnam era Olive Drab USGI towel with solid provenance is proving to be a real challenge. I own an issue od towel, but am beginning to think that it may be WWII and not Vietnam.

So, here's my question to my fellow forum members-do you have an issued Nam towel in your collection that you could share information about?

Here is what I do know/feel comfortable is correct:

1. A single band at the end is the common characteristic. I have seen at least one in a photo with a band a few inches in from the end. But just one.

2. They appear unmarked.

3. They do not have a tag. Current issue/later ones have a tag with Made in USA; RN 8416; ALL COTTON.

4. Measurements are approximately 20 inches by 40 inches.

Thanks in advance!

Photo by Charlie Haughey.

post-1646-0-86909300-1410291219.jpg

I found one at a surplus store a year ago here is what I found out in about. The Vietnam era towels are single banded in a OG-107 color. The towels from the

1980's and beyond are similar but in a brown color. Most other nationalities towels are double banded.

Craig

I have one that I got in 1973 or 1974 while stationed at Ft Lewis.

It looks like the one in the photo. I had several, but this is the only survivor.

There are no tags and no evidence of ever having any.

We were issued white towels, so I must have bought the towels at clothing sales or a surplus store. I honestly don't remember.

I caught my house cleaner just about to use mine !

She had ripped up an old OD bath towel and found my issue one in my storage war room.

Try explaining to an older lady that this NAM issue towel that is used and abused is a historical collectable and she must not use to clean behind the toilet.

She looked at me kinda weird after that for a few weeks.

owen

Owen even reading that made me gasp. As we all know, it's often the 'everyday' items that get chucked in the trash and yet they have a role in collecting as well.

Thanks for the comment Steve-any chance you could measure it if it's not too much trouble?

I am also wondering if sometimes they were dyed in-country. I know the Corps did onsite vat dying of t-shirts, certainly early on.

Thanks!

I bought one at the Ft Hood Clothing Sales store, oh something like June 1980, it too was identical to the one shown in the opening pohoto and OD. Brought it out in the field every time to include AK, even brought it home, with me. It's long gone now, can't for the life of me remember what I did with it.

Thank you all very much. Great display! I am going to work one more angle on this since I can't seem to find any contract number for towels back then. I am trying to get a provenienced (is that really a word?) WWII towel and do a comparison of measurements, construction, and color. 12thengr and Steve, thank you for the measurements. I am starting to get enough of them to work out an approximate average.

Please keep the photos and measurements coming and I will keep you all in the loop on what I find out.

Cheers!

I bought one at the Ft Hood Clothing Sales store, oh something like June 1980, it too was identical to the one shown in the opening pohoto and OD. Brought it out in the field every time to include AK, even brought it home, with me. It's long gone now, can't for the life of me remember what I did with it.

Would like to add that like the one Steve B had, mine too had no tag either.

Here are some pics of Marines with towels. Red in the front row right has a different style towel. These pics were taken by the guy ( Roy Deal ) sitting next to Red.

post-152973-0-99158000-1410461606.jpg

I am trying to get a provenienced (is that really a word?) WWII towel and do a comparison of measurements, construction, and color.

Well here is verified one from a Marine who was in for 20 years beginning in the late 1940's - this may be 1950's issue. Notice his laundry mark and three bands on it. I don't have it anymore. I did get a bunch in some footlockers from a Vietnam era USMC officer: I took those to the Fort MacArthur Days show and was shocked at how fast they sold.

2.jpg

1.jpg

I got this towel from a WW2 vet, but he told me that he thought it was his son's. His name wasn't Dave, so I tend to believe that it was his son's towel. I didn't ask when his son was in the service though. It's 18" x 36".

MVC-052S.JPG

MVC-053S.JPG

i also have a usmc towel that i gott back in the end of the 1980s

and it have one thick non wowen and one thin non wowen stripe

in bouth ends.

remembering al the marines had the same towel because

a few of my fellow collector kids back then also wanted to

trade for one.

cheers ken,norway

when i gett time il post a picure of it.

As luck would have it, a couple of weeks ago I picked up several mint towels straight from the estate of a Vietnam veteran who apparently hoarded everything he could get his hands on! The towels themselves are unmarked but everything else in the estate was dated 1968 or 1969. The towels measure 20 1/4 x 40 1/2 inches and have a thick band at each end.

post-265-0-13043300-1410742377.jpgpost-265-0-12163400-1410742423.jpg

i still have mine from 1969 issue stashed away at the moment. everything i own is in boxes preparing to move to another state. i'll try to remember to look at it for you, but it's going to be a while.

• 3 months later...

Here's one of two identical towels that were given to me by a man who had been in the Army in the early '60s-he had brought home all sorts of new,unissued gear, and stashed it in his attic,where it remained until he saw my Weapons Carrier at a vehicle show, and he asked me if I wanted all this stuff. Both these towels are made by Cannon.

IMG_0752_zps0004a479.jpg