What would you do WW1 collectors?

Normandy1944

To all the WW1 collectors.

With the 100th commoration of World War 1, there are many new museums and exhibitions.

Suppose there was an initiative from a heritage institution to prepare and realize a temporary exhibition about WW1 for 4 years (2014-2018), but with the subjects of the aspects of this war changing every 5 months .

Suppose they would ask collectors to realize this exhibition with the objects, subjects & knowledge for this project (for the term of 5 months).

What would you do if they asked you for this?

And why would you say yes or no?

Or, what are your requirements?

Please post your thoughts.

+1 on the security and insurance. I've displayed my items for 30 day periods in public venues before so, it would not bother me to do so again even if it were 5 month's.

My attitude is: Only common, low value stuff when out of my immediate control. Half the time when I loan something to someone, it returns broken or messed up. Most people do not value your stuff like you do. Just human nature.

W

So if insurance and security are provided you're willing to loan the items for a display?

And would you charge something for it?

And what about objects with high value, for example a Bible with bullet or schrapnel damage or something like that?

I would be very hesitant to allow high value items to be used unless there was a guarantee in writing, that I would be reimbursed a predetermined value for the item should it be damaged, lost or stolen. I don't know that I would charge to have my stuff displayed but, I'd like to at least see some recognition from the museum or group that they appreciated my loan. Of course, I'd have to feel comfortable with those folks that I'm working with, if they seem unprofessional, I'd be less likely to work with them.

Our Museum went from great to a pretty bad one here in my city, alienating a lot of collectors and visitors. The sad thing is, we have a huge community who want to volunteer/help out but no one wants their help :D, it went more for "big business" in a sense vs what it used to be, a museum.

It went from a tight/restricted building in terms of space with great exhibits and a great community involvement to a

newly built museum, enough to store the old building 10 times over, but the great community was excluded and good staff, replaced by staff who really don't know the history of the pieces or care.

I've had friends whos high value items were ruined after the new staff took over, so I would never loan out my items to them. I think that the best place to show something is on forums like this one, where we still have people who share common values and enjoy the history and heritage of these Veterans who fought to retain our freedom :)