M1936 Meyers Officer Barracks cover EGA

stucky151

Just got this in the mail today, very excited to get this one. Its marked Meyers sterling and has lost most of the gold on the applied continents and anchor.

post-52581-0-64044100-1410237404.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Love the Meyer design! And their are several variations of the Meyer pattern to collect, esp like yours as it has a salty "been there, done that" appearance. These are the kind I like to collect, the new old stock examples just don't speak like this example....

So based off the hand etching on the globe, would this be an early war M36? Ive seen some post WW2 with different etchings but the way the anchor is attached with the brass grommet looks later?

teufelhunde.ret

The Fret work across the Globe tooled vice the hand fret work seen in the teens & twenties. Following WW2 the it appears the makers introduced new fret work within the die for economy of scale, etc.

I agree, a WWII example. But don't feel bad just yet...WWII ones are just as in demand and tougher to get ahold of as their pre-war counterparts. War-time ones still get a lot of followers at auction and are one of the more desirable dress cover emblems of the era

I think this thread is confusing people with some terms. The Corps Devices pictured here are all tool engraved.... that is, the maker/jeweler had to use a tool to make the marks you see. The "zig-zag" one is used with a sharp flat tip metal awl, and is called "rocker engraving", by which the tool is "rocked" back and forth while pushing it forward with the hand. Stucky151's piece is "rocker" etched. I am unaware of this type of engraving being "within the die", as was mentioned above, until the 1962 (modern device) pattern. Brig's device was also done by some form of a hand tool (possibly rotary tool) that made imprints in a line.

Mike