Dedication Ceremony for the Arctic Convoy Memorial, St Petersburg, Russia

Dave

All:

I had the honor of being invited for the weekend of celebration and remembrance for the dedication of the Arctic Convoy veterans memorial in St Petersburg, Russia. So, while most folks were enjoying the three day holiday weekend, I was flying to and from Russia...but had an incredible experience! Caution: since none of the located American veterans were healthy enough to travel, Russian and British veterans were predominantly represented. Thus, the following photos contain considerable amounts of foreign militaria! (The organizers wanted me to wear my miniature medals, but I felt that it would detract from the "real" veterans who were there...my service in the Navy of the 90s and 2000s paled in comparison to what these men went through...)

The weekend commenced with the laying of wreaths at Piskarevskoye Cemetery, memorial to 600,000 unidentified victims of the war years...

wreath_ceremony.jpg

wreath_ceremony2.jpg

Next, we took part in the noon canon blast from the Peter and Paul Fortress. Here I am with one of the veterans, overlooking the city of St Petersburg.

With_Veteran_St_Petersburg.jpg

This was then followed by a program at the Central Naval Museum with some historian "experts" about convoys. Apparently, someone had some misundertanding about the "expert" part and asked me talk about my research. :D In all seriousness, I was very honored to present my research to an audience of Russian and British veterans, as well as many scholars and historians of the war.

Naval_Museum_Presentation1.jpg

Naval_Museum_Presentation2.jpg

Following the presentation and tour of the museum, we relocated back to the Peter and Paul Fortress for a dinner celebration. There was quite a bit of celebrating...

singing.jpg

dinner2.jpg

The following day was the unveiling and dedication of the memorial. On the memorial were statues representing American, Russian, and British seamen, all of whom participated in the transport of Lend-Lease goods to Russia on the treacherous Murmansk Run.

monument1.jpg

monument2.jpg

The veterans placed flowers at the foot of the memorial to remember their fallen comrades.

After the ceremony, I was interviewed for a spot on Russian National Radio about the convoys.

monument3.jpg

Russian_Interview.jpg

In the evening, we were hosted by the governor (mayor) of St Petersburg for a dinner party at his house. Much more low keyed than the previous evening (I think to the veteran's dismay...) :)

Below I am standing with Dr. Anatoly Lifshits, who made 23 Arctic convoys during the war as a navigator and gunnery officer and is the last remaining officer who served during the convoys. He also wrote one of the two forewords in my book. To the right of the photo is Valentin Dremlyug, who, as an engineer on a Soviet merchant ship, personally rescued 153 US Navy and merchant marine sailors during the convoys.

with_vets.jpg

Finally, the day involved the veterans talking to school children about the war. I didn't participate, but I did participate in the reception the last evening at the British Consulate. Here are the veterans, along with the British Consul General, in front of a poster about the dedication ceremony.

I hope you enjoyed these few photos of the extraordinary weekend...one I will remember forever, and a fitting memorial to the brave men of the Arctic convoys.

at_consulate.jpg

Great job, Dave!

Thanks!! It was truly an honor to be invited and take part in the celebration. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but the weekend turned out to be amazing.

A great honor for you Dave...looks like a lot of fun had by everyone. I am sure the language barrier was cured by the true International language... Vodka

A great honor for you Dave...looks like a lot of fun had by everyone. I am sure the language barrier was cured by the true International language... Vodka

...and red wine, white wine, rum, and whiskey. I've never been anywhere where we were doing toasts every ten minutes..... :D

Once in a lifetime event Dave, good for you ! Great to hear about these unsung heroes of the Kola Run. Wish a few Yanks could have been there but the honor is far too late for most.

Symbolism of the statue is "interesting". I'll leave it at that.

Glad you arrived home safe and sound after a very long, unique trip.

W

Thank you for sharing the photos Dave. It looks like an experience you'll never forget. I can't imagine what how the veterans felt to be recognized after all these years.