Iwo Jima Group

USdog

This just ended on eBay. What an historic group... Wanted to share it with you guys. The marine received the Navy Cross on Iwo while commanding 2nd Bn 26th marines

Congrats to the buyer.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=8049

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281433887700

Navy Cross

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the World War II

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Major Amedeo Rea (MCSN: 0-7296), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for extraordinary heroism as Commanding Officer of the Second Battalion, Twenty-Sixth Marines, FIFTH Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 15 March 1945. When heavy hostile fire stopped his Battalion's attack on the seventh consecutive day of unusually close contact with well-camouflaged enemy caves in extremely rough terrain, Major Rea advanced into the front lines and reorganized the remnants of his Battalion which was reduced to forty-four percent of its full strength. Although suffering from extreme fatigue, he then moved ahead of his front lines and personally led his exhausted men in a four hundred yard charge which overran a strongly defended Japanese ridge. By his fearless leadership, cool courage and determination, he served as an inspiration to his men in seizing an objected which contributed greatly to the ultimate success of the operation. His devotion to duty was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

General Orders: SPOT AWARD, Fleet Marine Force Pacific: Serial 44532

Action Date: March 15, 1945

Service: Marine Corps

Company: Commanding Officer

Battalion: 2d Battalion

Regiment: 26th Marines

Division: 5th Marine Division

Funny, I usually don't miss USMC tags that pop up on eBay but missed this set! Very historical and nice to have, but $500 for his post-war tags and one wartime tag and no medal might be a tad high. On the other hand someone paid it so I guess that's what the set is worth.

Best,

Bill K.

So he pretty much paid $125 per tag and bracelet. IMO not too high. I would snag one of them for that price (if the buyer hears me PM me lol!). It may sound crazy to buy one for that price but remember he was a Battalion commander at Iwo and in the 7th Marines before that probably at Guadalcanal and such. Navy cross and Purple Heart recipient too. Not much more you can ask for in this group.

Heck that bracelet looks like it could have been worn on Iwo to be honest!

Without a medal, those might be the priciest dog tags I've seen sold

Recently, a single dog tag from a member of the VMF-214 sold for more than $1000 ... that was probably the pricest dog tag ;)

E