Master Sergeant Llewellyn Chilson Memorial Website

uniformcollector

uniformcollector
Earlier today, I finished a project that spanned the last few months. With the help of Chris Profota and daughter Roberta Chilson Armstrong, I was able to put together a website honoring Master Sergeant Llewellyn Chilson (www.llewellynchilson.com). Many of you may have never heard of Master Sergeant Chilson (neither did I before I was on this forum). Master Sergeant Chilson received more decorations for valor at one time then Douglas MacArthur, Audie Murphy, Matt Urban or any other soldier, sailor or marine. However, at the end of World War II, his only non-service award was a single Purple Heart (despite being wounded three times). In 1946, President Truman brought Master Sergeant Chilson, his wife and first daughter Roberta out to the White House to award him 7 delayed decorations for his outstanding courage. These awards included three Distinguished Service Crosses. However, despite three recommendations for the Medal of Honor, Master Sergeant Chilson never received this award. One recommendation made it all the way to the General in command of the U.S. Army, Europe at the time, but when it got to Washington, they could not believe that what Master Sergeant Chilson did actually happened. Part of the goal in building the website is not only to honor Master Sergeant Chilson, but to get his story shared so that one day, he might receive this belated honor. With President Obama awarding many Medals of Honor to veterans who should have received them long ago (including the largest Medal of Honor ceremony since WWII), maybe he might consider giving Master Sergeant Chilson the honor that he deserves.
The website features photos never before seen out of the family, information, incredible artifacts from numerous collections, his original citations and medals, an original Army-produced video, a section for remembrances, an original Medal of Honor recommendation and many other incredible pieces of history. We encourage you to share the website to help keep Master Sergeant Chilson's memory alive and to honor one of America's greatest heroes.