36th ID ike with bullion CIB.

aussie digger

aussie digger

Hi All,

Just picked up this 36th I.D ike with a nice bullion CIB. It looks like the disks are original to this ike so does a MP disk and CIB make sense? It has clearly had 4 individual ribbons pinned on for a long time but they are gone now, would love to I.D who this belonged to so I could replace the ribbons but I have found 3 Robert Schaar's so may be a little difficult.

Jason

post-51559-0-36501700-1410043138.jpg

That us a beautiful CIB. If you have narrowed it down to 3 schaars I think you have a pretty good chance. Do you know where the jacket came from? That might help narrow it down.

As for the mp brass. It's not uncommon to see non infantryman with a CIB in ww2. You have the standard list of possibilities- former infantryman reclassified, an mp assigned to an infantry unit who was unifficialy/officially awarded it, the soldier self awarded it, or the mp brass were added later

aussie digger

Thank you very much for the help! And you are right! Of the 3 men I think I have it figured out, this man's residence was 45 minutes from where this uniform came from.

Robert O. Schaar 37597039

Of Itasca MN.

aussie digger

This uniform came out of Grand Rapids MN so it looks like we may have a match! So I guess the top ribbon will be a PH.

From his obit on GrandRapidsMN.com there isalso a photo of Mr Schaar but I couldn't copy it.

"Robert O. Schaar, 88, of Grand Rapids, Minn. died Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2008 at the TLC Serenity Foster Home in Grand Rapids.

Bob was born in 1919 in Wichita, Kansas to Bruno and Christina Schaar. He was a WWII veteran in the Armored Division under General Patton and received the Purple Heart in the Battle of the Bulge"

Awesome! I was searching through ancestry and find a grave but looks like you found your guy.

Is there any laundry marks in the jacket to confirm it?

This explains the mp brass.......

Bob was with his Machine Gun Platoon at St. Vith, Belgium on 16 Dec 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge. in an interview he states " I was with a machine gun platoon on defense on the front line. . . . I was one of the lucky three out of 17 or 18 who came back. The rest got killed. . . or wounded." In late January or early February, the 2nd day after his Battalion crossed the Rhine, Bob received a serious head wound. He was transfered to Paris for recovery, then served as an MP with the Army of Occupation in Germany, returning home 22 Dec 1945. He was awarded a Purple Heart. On Veteran's Day of 2002 he and 15 other local WWII Veterans received "Thank You America" certificates from the French Government for their bravery during battle.

aussie digger

Thank you for your help. No laundry number to confirm it but one of the other Robert Schaar's didn't enlist until June 1945 so that kind of rules him out. The other enlisted in 1942 from Illinois so is a possibility. Coming out of Grand Rapids with a 7th Armored combat patch and 2 OS stripes seems to fit pretty much perfectly with Robert O. Schaar who enlisted June 1944.

Jason

• 5 years later...
Veterans Daughter

This is my father-in-laws jacket. I see you found it in Grand Rapids; was it at Goodwill or a thrift shop? It must have been included by mistake with clothing that was donated. Its good to see it is with someone who appreciates its value, hope to hear from you. Thanks, Veterans Daughter

Veterans Daughter

Some additional information. The photos found by CHASEUSA11B are from my Ancestry.com family tree. Bob's oldest son was able to obtain copy of the medals and ribbons he was awarded, as they were missing except for the Purple Heart and the French medal - we have the originals of those and two patches. I am not asking anything of you other than where you found the jacket. We are just trying to solve the mystery of how it became available. Thanks again, Veterans Daughter