Armory Marksman, Armory Sharpshooter

jmar

Hello to all!

This is a recent arrival, I have no idea what it is, so I come to you for your help. My guess is that it is a state National Guard award. The pattern and the quality of engraving just "spoke" to me, so I had to have it. I've researched the name on Ancestry, but found there could be several recipients within the time frame engraved on the back.

So I am hoping that if someone could ID the state from which the badge was issued it would greatly help narrow my search. I looked through Emerson's book, but no luck. I know there is a super rare reference volume that is for state issued shooting proficiency medals, if any kind person that may have such a book could ID this for me I'd be truly grateful. It's just too pretty of a badge to not be able to hook it up with its history.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

My best wishes to everyone,

Joe

post-48324-0-40330700-1409951548.jpg

I am far from an expert but I think you have a Coastal Atillery badge. I just picked up two marksman badges in the last few weeks which I am pretty sure is Coastal Artillery.

Joe,

This is a wonderful badge. The engraving is just beautiful. I don't know the history of this piece but congrats on a great find!

....Kat

Hi Kat!

Thanks for stopping in! The engraving is what clinched it for me too, I just couldn't resist. I really hope I can find out where it was awarded to help me narrow down the search for the correct recipient.

Best wishes to you!

Joe

I am far from an expert but I think you have a Coastal Atillery badge. I just picked up two marksman badges in the last few weeks which I am pretty sure is Coastal Artillery.

Hi Crypto!

Thank you for reading and commenting. I never thought about it being CAC, because the "sharpshooter" bar make me lean more towards it being a NG unit, but it's an avenue that would be worth exploring. I'm posting a pic of an early CAC badge I have so you can see the crossed cannon motif used quite extensively on CAC insignia. The lack of the cannons is another reason I never thought about it being possibly CAC related.

Thank you again for stopping in and commenting, I appreciate it.

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-0-72221200-1410031749.jpg