KW Vet USMC Dog Tag Help

Cal30M1

My buddy at work lost his father in 2012 at the age of 86.

He showed me his dad's tag which he is carrying on his key chain. It's the USMC two hole type. VERY shiny like it may be stainless or maybe just polished from being in his pocket.

He asked me about it because I "collect army crap" :) and I told him all I knew about it and that aint much.

He said his dad served during the KW war but rarely spoke about his service. I asked about which unit he was with so I could research and possibly tell him more about his dad's service but he didn't know.

I helped him do a records request online to get more info but I know YOU guys are able to pull information MUCH faster than Uncle Sugar.

Here is the info I have from his tags;

Malfese,

Salvatore A. [Anthony]

C

Ser# 1002159

TET 1/45

And additional info from his son.

Enlisted man

DOB 9/3/1926 NY,NY

Can any of you magicians flesh out any information on his dad for me?

Thank you very much.

Only man on the muster rolls I see with that name appears to have entered service in January 1945 and attended infantry training in the same month, and then the rolls have a gap. Due to his tentanis shot being January 1945 based off the info you provided, good bet it's him. Next entry, July 1945 with 2/24 overseas. Transferred October 45 to Supply & Maintenance Bn, 6th Service Depot. Last entry is July 1946, probably discharged then.

2/24 served on Iwo Jima, he may have made it, which would account for the usual April entry being missing, or he may have been a replacement shortly after to rebuild their numbers after the invasion. His service record from NARA would tell you more

Either his father told him WWII and he forgot, or his father told him Korea because he didn't want to relive memories. My guess is the former

Only man on the muster rolls I see with that name appears to have entered service in January 1945 and attended infantry training in the same month, and then the rolls have a gap. Due to his tentanis shot being January 1945 based off the info you provided, good bet it's him. Next entry, July 1945 with 2/24 overseas. Transferred October 45 to Supply & Maintenance Bn, 6th Service Depot. Last entry is July 1946, probably discharged then.

2/24 served on Iwo Jima, he may have made it, which would account for the usual April entry being missing, or he may have been a replacement shortly after to rebuild their numbers after the invasion. His service record from NARA would tell you more

Either his father told him WWII and he forgot, or his father told him Korea because he didn't want to relive memories. My guess is the former

Entering service in 1945 is certainly consistent with the shot date.

I asked him if he was sure of when he served because of the tetanus date but he said pops said KW.

I did tell my buddy that in my experience, of the many vets of the various wars I have had the privilege to know, the ones that were "in the sheet" never talked about that part of their service.

For instance a survivor of the Bataan Death March was a customer of mine for several years and he told stories of boot camp and leave and such. I remember once his story ended abruptly after relaying a story about someone who I assume was a close buddy that didn't make it because his laughs at the memory quickly stopped and you could see he was visibly shaken.

The same story from a customer that was one of the Chosin Few. Had the same experience with him one time.

Thanks for the info Brig. I will let my buddy know and I will share what information I can when he gets it back from NARA.

My buddy said several years ago one of his dad's buddies from the Corps visited and his dad gave his buddy all of the pictures and things he had from back then. I would have loved to have seen his stash.

I never met his dad but he raised some good men and lived a full and successful life. My buddy has every reason to be proud of his pops.