Light, Cameras, and Color, suggestion taken

Apologies for using such sensitive material as my subject matter, I certainly didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Previous to this I posted a rifle in Spoils of War to sorta move on with another piece but ended up having the same uploading problems.

"Picture uploading is not difficult at all on here. I have done the same uploading picture process since I started on here. Why does everyone buck the system and think its so hard? How hard is it take a picture with your phone and upload it to your computer?!"

I am using an actual camera, tripod, correct color balanced reflected lighting, and a measuring grid to photograph. I've been using this set up for years and can post photos effortlessly everywhere else. So am I restricted to now taking pictures with my phone? Not hard to take a picture with my phone at all but I prefer to use the $1000- worth of equipment I invested in to produce accuracy. I have noticed other threads here where less than perfect photos have caused a bigger stink than I ever will. So if "everyone" as you say is having a hard time and it causes so many debates, maybe it's worth looking into.

I simply want to know why my re-sized pictures will not load when they are adequately reduced as per instruction in PHOTOS & IMAGING. I find a lot of good stuff and would like to share it here without knocking myself out.

Personally I use Picasa as a tool for resizing and such (it is a pain but gets the job done), it is the only way I have been able to add photos to the forum.

What programs are you using?

Philip

Actively Seeking:

WW2 USN/USMC Attributed/Named Purple Heart Groups

WW2 USN/USMC Combat Aviation Groups

WW2 and Prior USN/USMC Medal Groups

Contact me if you have something

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

if its just a simple file size issue no dollar amount of equipment will help you. Its a simple matter of not knowing how to save an image for the web. We only have 250k limit per image, which isn't huge but its also not THAT bad for the web.

when you resize your images what is the final k and pixel size? When i size all my pictures they usually end up being around 2000px x2000px at 72 dpi. If you have a tool like photoshop what you need to do is first set it to 72dpi and around 2000px on your biggest aspect ratio.

Once you do if you are in photoshop do a save for web and adjust it till you get under your 250k limit with your quality settings.

The image I have attached is 1979x2136 px at 72 dpi and when saved for web is saved at a medium setting and is more than big enough to see the details on the web and ends up being 245.93k

post-22057-0-94120400-1409866576.jpg

Personally I use Picasa as a tool for resizing and such (it is a pain but gets the job done), it is the only way I have been able to add photos to the forum.

What programs are you using?

Philip

Using Corel Print Shop Pro

Thanks, I will look into it.

The dollar amount was in reference to the question "How hard is it take a picture with your phone and upload it to your computer?"

I've just got a pretty cool set up and dedicated space in my office that I'd like to use as opposed to my phone.

I dont think people are trying to tell you to use your phone, i think they were just saying you can use a phone and it will work too.....at first when posting photos here it seems like a chore to follow the size restrictions but once you do it a few times its no big deal, if there were no size limit people would be posting enormous file photos and it would take up too much forum space/bandwith or whatever you want to call it......while true that the smaller photo size here is a bit restrictive and doesnt show as much detail as most would like, it is how they do it here and we have to get used to it and it really isnt all that bad as Jamie has said...its a matter of just taking a few minutes to figure it out the first few times and then you are good to go...i use ACDeeSee program or something like that and eventually figure out what size to downsize to to fir the forums posting size limit of 250K.....you might be overthinking it and maybe your Corel program does it differently than peoples advice but you will get the hang of it for sure....if i can do it you can do it is what people are trying to say to you thats all!......mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Thanks, I will look into it.

The dollar amount was in reference to the question "How hard is it take a picture with your phone and upload it to your computer?"

I've just got a pretty cool set up and dedicated space in my office that I'd like to use as opposed to my phone.

if you are willing to invest "thousands of dollars" for a photo set up I would suggest spending 80-150 dollars more for something like Adobe Photoshop Elements or Adobe Lightroom. Both have a save for a web feature and should be able to do any minor photo editing you need to do. Regular PSD is stupid expensive and I personally wouldn't have it if I didn't need it for work.

EDIT: Also for what it sounds like you even need elements for don't get the most recent versions, Adobe now has a payment feature where you have to pay by month. But you can still find older versions on places like amazon, that are just buy once and go.

Using Corel Print

I don't have Corel but right off their site about CPP

When saving files for the web, size is one of the most important factors which affects users trying to access your site. A larger file takes more time to download. You should use a file format that reduces the images size while keeping the quality as high as possible. The Export Wizards and Optimizers guide you through step-by-step, whereas the optimizers give you the most control.

To access any of the Optimizers you go through the File > Export > Exporter Choice. The example shown here is the first tab of the JPEG Optimizer. From here, you can manage compression amounts to reduce the size of your image. Remember, any time you compress an image; you are going to lose quality. The left image is the preview of your image before you apply any compression. The right side displays the way the image will appear once the compression is applied. In addition, just below the previews, the respective file sizes are displayed.

I dont think people are trying to tell you to use your phone, i think they were just saying you can use a phone and it will work too.....at first when posting photos here it seems like a chore to follow the size restrictions but once you do it a few times its no big deal, if there were no size limit people would be posting enormous file photos and it would take up too much forum space/bandwith or whatever you want to call it......while true that the smaller photo size here is a bit restrictive and doesnt show as much detail as most would like, it is how they do it here and we have to get used to it and it really isnt all that bad as Jamie has said...its a matter of just taking a few minutes to figure it out the first few times and then you are good to go...i use ACDeeSee program or something like that and eventually figure out what size to downsize to to fir the forums posting size limit of 250K.....you might be overthinking it and maybe your Corel program does it differently than peoples advice but you will get the hang of it for sure....if i can do it you can do it is what people are trying to say to you thats all!......mike

Yeah, thanks again for clearing up what everyone else is saying. It just happens to be something different every time for each individual :) I've got quite a few programs at my fingertips as well and think I'm on the right track with one. It's the way it's done here, a bit restrictive but it just looks like you gotta figure one of the many ways to do it that works for you.

Thanks all

if you are willing to invest "thousands of dollars" for a photo set up I would suggest spending 80-150 dollars more for something like Adobe Photoshop Elements or Adobe Lightroom. Both have a save for a web feature and should be able to do any minor photo editing you need to do. Regular PSD is stupid expensive and I personally wouldn't have it if I didn't need it for work.

EDIT: Also for what it sounds like you even need elements for don't get the most recent versions, Adobe now has a payment feature where you have to pay by month. But you can still find older versions on places like amazon, that are just buy once and go.

Thanks, Not willing to invest thousands or another c note, I just have a good 1000- already invested is what said. I'm sure what I have already will suffice and just need to learn a completely different process than I'm used to. Different terminology for different programs, different set up on each, but the dpi tip really clued me in on a better understanding. Guess I've been a bit spoiled using the Photobucket feature designed for forums. Thanks again

Thanks, Not willing to invest thousands or another c note, I just have a good 1000- already invested is what said. I'm sure what I have already will suffice and just need to learn a completely different process than I'm used to. Different terminology for different programs, different set up on each, but the dpi tip really clued me in on a better understanding. Guess I've been a bit spoiled using the Photobucket feature designed for forums. Thanks again

Thats my point you said you already spent "thousands" in a photo setup. 80 bucks more for a good editor is not going to kill you. Adobe really has the best compression and is pretty much the photo and design standard hands down.

Well if you think it's the best I'll give it a try. Maybe there's last years version that'll work with windows 7 and 8 that would save a few bucks as well. I'm all about saving what would be eventual hours by spending a few bucks.

Well if you think it's the best I'll give it a try. Maybe there's last years version that'll work with windows 7 and 8 that would save a few bucks as well. I'm all about saving what would be eventual hours by spending a few bucks.

Yeah there is check out amazon or B&H photo there are cheaper versions all over. You can always check out trial versions:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_elements&loc=en

That would be the most recent version but the basics will all be there in a version a year or two old.

And as an aside, SnagIt has the ability to do bulk-resizing as well.

For example, I took 318 photos last weekend of my trip to Russia for the dedication of the memorial to Arctic convoy veterans in RAW format. Each of those are about 28MB. Some of them I have edited, but the majority of them are "good enough" to just use online, especially uploading on here or on facebook, or letting some of the associated organizations I was with use them for their websites.

Using Photoshop, I was able to convert 314 photos from RAW to .jpg format in about 8 minutes. Those were suitable in size for facebook or for the organizations' websites that wanted them. To post them on here, it took less than 4 minutes to resize them for use on the forum using SnagIt (there might be a way to do it in Photoshop, but it's just as easy for me to use SnagIt...)

Total of 12 minutes of editing time for more than 300 photos. It actually takes me longer to take and edit a photo I've taken with my phone than it does to do it with my "big" camera.

To me, it doesn't make much sense to have a lot of money invested in a good camera and lighting without having money invested in editing software. But that's just me...

Dave

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks, I've got paint shop pro, just a matter of figuring it out. I'm sure it's got the ability. As far as editing goes, I snap a photo, crop, and post, that's about it. Hell, sounds like I should toss everything else and get a tripod for my phone now.

Thanks, I've got paint shop pro, just a matter of figuring it out. I'm sure it's got the ability. As far as editing goes, I snap a photo, crop, and post, that's about it. Hell, sounds like I should toss everything else and get a tripod for my phone now.

I still use my tripod, D90 and my light box, then again im a nerd and have fun doing it :)

On the subject of taking pictures with phones, does anyone know a good resizing tool for mobile? I can never post directly from my phone and always need to resize on my computer first.

"In almost all wars, the sight of foreign troops brought fear and terror to the local people, destruction and often senseless killing of local citizens. However, the sight of the American GI always brought smiles and joy to the local French people. They knew we were there to liberate, not to conquer; to help, not to terrorize."

Captain Leo T. Hury, M-Company, 330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division.

In honor of Captain Leo, March 19, 1920 - June 10, 2012

Profile picture: Pfc. John T. DiMauro, E Company, 331st Infantry Regiment

January 23, 1926 - KIA January 13, 1945 near Langlire, Belgium after 11 days on the frontline

Looking for anything related to the 83rd Infantry Division (1917-today)

Visit my personal website: www.normandytothebulge.be

Learn more about the 83rd Infantry Divison assocation at: www.83rdassociation.com

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif