AIRBORNE COMMAND patch

patchguy

Manufacturer's test run on the tab and patch. You be the judge as to why there are sewing machine holes. There are a whole lotta unknowing collectors out there, and is the bidding proves that theorem. This is an example of an error patch, nothing more. This is no different than the infamous "555th PIB" w/ the red and white airborne tab, all one piece. In another 30 years, there will be another never-before-seen combo. Collectors will bite on it, too.

No photo of it being worn? No provenance? No deal.

At least the seller isn't claiming its the 592nd Airborne Mess Kit Repair Company variation!

I also agree with Dave, test run, not a rare variant. If it was anything more, one would have shown up by now, or it would be the Airborne patch version to what the elusive $200 dollar jeep in a crate myth is among collectors.

So for the not-so-knowledgeable, is this a patch that WWII airborne collectors--in general--would want? I know variants are often sought after by collectors but are "test runs" or errors at all desirable?

I consider myself t be an airborne collector. This is not a piece that I want in my collection even though I read somewhere that this have been worn by the 592nd Airborne Mess Kit Repair Company. :P

Allan

Here is an outside thought.....could the tab be faded from a bad batch of thread dye? If you look a the letters, they look pretty dark compared to the rest of the patch. They could have caught some of the ink. I am probably wrong, but that would answer the question over the patch being worn.

-Ski

is there any possibility that these teal blue examples have anything to do with the use of this insignia by the Special Forces in the early 1950s? I doubt if it does because there would have be plenty of WW2 surplus ones left.

is there any possibility that these teal blue examples have anything to do with the use of this insignia by the Special Forces in the early 1950s? I doubt if it does because there would have be plenty of WW2 surplus ones left.

No doubt that's what the guy who "created" this had in mind. The A/B Command patches with white/red airborne tab fooled many experienced collectors back in the 80's/90's because they were made correctly (i.e., schliffli embroidery with cotton thread). In my opinion, this is just another bogus color variety of that fake.

I live about 7 minutes from Grandview MO where the patch originally sold for $300 now it is for sale in Johnson City TN for $1000 - I'm moving

I am in amazement that you avid patch hounds do not know the difference between the 592nd Airborne Mess Kit Repair Company/OSS patch and what is obviously at first glance the 597th Airborne Latrine Maintenance Battalion attached to the SOE!!!

Come on you guys!! Get serious.

• 5 years later...

I had another collector ask me about this one. I told him he should spend his money elsewhere or give it to me and would sell him one worth his money. He stated that yes, I know a lot about patches but do I know them all?! I know what not to buy or at least what I don't know enough about to not buy it! Made that mistake before. Learned from the lesson I payed for. Currently this is selling for $120+. A costly lesson for sure! Or will shamed an will try to sell it down the road and some one else with little knowledge will restart the cycle.

Saw this on Ebay last night. I laughed to myself as I had read this very post a few months ago! Thanks to all those who share their knowledge and helped a newbie avoid a mistake!

JerseyDevil117

I am not disagreeing with anything said here. But im really curious to know why an embroidery shop would test with random colors rather then the colors that are suppose to be used? After they change the colors wouldnt they have to test the tension anyways?