Did the armed forces ever use these cars?

GlennWoreAShaefPatch

GlennWoreAShaefPatch

A few friends of mine have been telling people the Armed Forces owned several 1946 Nash 600s and 1949 Packard Sedans. I've never seen either in any sort of military garb, so I highly doubt it, but they swear it's true. Can you help me settle this?

The U.S.Army used civilian sourced vehicles throughout their history. More so in early war periods and less later on. I would imagine procurement on a local level; beyond issued from depot official cars, would involve what was available against cost and need. For example if a Base Provost Marshall needed something besides a jeep or four-door staff car for his local M.P.s, perhaps there would be money in the kitty for a hot-sh*t 1946 Nash 600.

• 1 month later...

Here is one that is on display at the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry in Wasilla, Alaska. This doesn't really match your original question, as I believe this is about a 49 nash, and it is the Ambassador model. I took this picture probably three or four years ago, and I didn't write down any info on the car, so I am just guessing on the year. I also can't be sure the paint is original. It is a cool car one way or the other.

post-2011-0-43518500-1413876382.jpg

post-2011-0-53427800-1413876673.jpg