Red Wing Skytrooper jump boots; PX item? Age? Value?

MattS

As for these boots, yes I would say private purchase types, PX/Army NavyStore, because they are specifically made Brown, late WWII/Late 40s till late 50s.

I saw that auction. Not sure what planet that seller lives on, but I don't see these being worth even 1/10th of that price. Thanks for the info!

Since they're Black, maybe if they'd be worth it if they were worn by at one point by Westmoreland in 59 when he commanded the 101 :P

Post WW2 private purchase commercially sold boots.

Had a pair in a 50s era 11th airborne group.The vet even added side zippers.

Value....what ever someone will pay.

It's interesting, but I remember some of the old timers talking about when the Army switched over to black, they had to strip the boots of their polish and use black shoe dye. No one was going to throw away a perfectly good pair of boots.

GIL

YOUR RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

I HAVE TWO SETS OF BROWN CORCORAN BOOTS . DYED BLACK. ONE SET BELONGED to A COLONEL AND CAME WITH HIS TWO BUCKLE BOOTS BLACKENED AS WELL.

Back in the old days, the troops did not make enough money to justify throwing out serviceable boots. Didn't make sense... the boot dye was much cheaper! Besides, it took awhile to break them in until they were comfortable.

And most important about the dying of boots was (apart from old obsolete buckle tops), was that it was prescibed by local if not Army wide orders. Especially the standard issue boot of the day, can't remember who talked about this awhile ago, J Andrews, atb? one of them put forward that the new specifically made Black combat boots did not become available for purchase or issue till around 1960-maybe early 61.

I enlisted as a MP in 1953, and was issued brown boots. In about 1955, we were required to change the boots from brown to cordavan, which was a rather easy task. Then, about two years later, we were required to change the cordavan to black, which was anything other than easy. It meant stripping the cordavan down to the basic leather, dye the boots black, and then spit shine them to a high shine black. Jack