PT-109 Purple Heart grouping with John Kennedy letter

Bob Hudson

Anyone care to speculate on how and why this PH is in such poor condition? Awarded posthumously, the assumption is that it should/could have been in its presentation case and kept in pristine shape since the award. This family clearly did not honor or take care of it over the years and now they are selling it off.

Anyone care to speculate on how and why this PH is in such poor condition? Awarded posthumously, the assumption is that it should/could have been in its presentation case and kept in pristine shape since the award. This family clearly did not honor or take care of it over the years and now they are selling it off.

I would not corrolate its condition to the family not honoring it, it may have been worn by his mother or another family member to honor him. It is pretty common to see WW1 Purple Hearts that show wear due to the veteran wearing it. I have personally seen veterans themselves wearing their Purple Heart on a necklace. There may have been other reasons for it becoming this worn, but I think making a statement like that without knowing the behind-the-scenes story is pure speculation.

Philip

Wow...a group to one of the most iconic moments in US Navy history. Not that it was a "big" deal, but it was an iconic moment because of Kennedy's involvement. Truly amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if some real deep pockets came out to bid on this one. I'd wager it goes for close to $300K.

I haven't seen the description yet, but this is one I'd like to watch as a live auction!

... this is one I'd like to watch as a live auction!

I'd like to be sitting next to the winner. Better yet, I'd like to be closely related to the winner. ;)

I'd like to be sitting next to the winner. Better yet, I'd like to be closely related to the winner. ;)

Or perhaps the Seller :lol:...

The only thing I can think that might cause it to not bring as much as it could is that it is not in a " Kennedy " themed auction with lots of other Kennedy memorabilia . The 600K Flight Jacket Jacket was sold in a highly publicized auction of nothing but Kennedy material.

If you type in " JFK WWII LETTERS " in Google , alot of newspapers articles do appear about this auction. They all downplay the sale of the medal. Most dont mention it,

Kurt

The condition in how the medal was stored...hot/cold or un-stable can contribute as to the medals finish, Navy Purple Hearts are known to bleach out and the gilt to flake due to the elements and time.The broach and ribbon could be anybody's guess, the medal could have been suspended from a chain or something in that line;the ribbon and broach mis-placed. This does not necessarily mean the family did not honor or respect the sailor's memory. As to selling the group...it will hopefully go to the right place and will now be shared for all to see...that will allow the story and memory of his sacrifice...to surface again.

I wish I was rich quite often and here is another reason why I wish that.

Kurt

Now Kurt,

Down South we are under the impression that everyone up North is RICH...

Now Kurt,

We are, I just upgraded to a double wide.

Kurt Barickman

Now Kurt,

True that! Maybe rich in many things but cash is not one of them.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are going to do a live auction starting about 3 PM eastern today. I can't confirm that, but that is what is seems like, based on what I read on the RR Auctions website.

Hey Ed,

Once you've got this grouping bought, would you mind taking more photos of it? Pretty Please? :rolleyes:

Allan

Hang on, I am taking pictures now....NOT!

Hard to believe, but I don't collect groupings, or named medals.

The site seems to indicate that the final bid was $200,000 plus a 25% buyer's premium. So, the winner of the auction will pay around $250,000 (plus any sales tax, if applicable).

I would have to imagine this put the set pretty high on the list of most valuable KIA Purple Heart groupings.

Manchu Warrior

I don't mean to go off on a rant but 25% buyers premium, when is this madness going to end? How is it that auction houses are the only businesses that can get away with charging you to spend your own money?

I don't mean to go off on a rant but 25% buyers premium, when is this madness going to end? How is it that auction houses are the only businesses that can get away with charging you to spend your own money?

Because the buyers tolerate it. And no doubt it is factored into the bids.

Wikipedia says "The buyer's premium goes directly to the auction house and not to the seller" and first shows up in Rome more than 2,000 years ago.

"The modern buyer's premium was introduced at 10% in 1975 by Christie's and Sotheby's in London in September 1975."

It could be argued that the buyer's premium comes out of the pocket of seller's: if buyers know they have to pay that and lower their bids as a result, then that is less money paid to the seller, because all of the premium goes to the auction houses, who claim the premium is to cover administrative costs (presumably the auction house's commission is used to fund parties and not overhead).

Crazier yet is people continue to pay the fee.What amazes me is these buyers will bid and buy on the on line auctions, pay the additional fees, but wont buy the same item off a table at a show or a forum for less money or complain the set priority mail shipping cost is to high but pay these fees.

Also the on line bidders cant really see or handle the item.I see it here all the time.Someone (antique dealer) will pay $ 300 for a helmet or flag and then are offered one in better shape for less/half and they wont buy it.If they think they are going to make money on the $300 item why not buy the others for less?

Plus this typical fee usually doesnt include shipping or credit card fees in most auctions or if firearms that are sent there is a FFL fee typically added.Bought a pistol once and the auctioneer had a fee of $25 as they had to have a FFL dealer send it to a C&R holder.If I had sent it to a FFL dealer here it would be another $25.