Help with private chevrons

stratasfan

Hi! I just got these at a local flea market. I am putting together a display about my great-uncle and he was in the Army during the 40s. Was just wonderring if anyone knew anything more about these felt patches. They had a bunch of the typical twill-type, but the felt ones looked cool and will match the hat in my display. Are these felt patches from a particular era?

The last things I need for this display are two medal ribbons --- Army of the Occupation and WWII Victory. Anyone have a good place to find those? Thanks!

post-151812-0-32413900-1409754338.jpg

dan_the_hun84

Early/Pre-War chevrons for an Army Private First Class, look totally legit to me. Was he this rank during his service? Keep in mind too that these were more common in the early/mid 40s (i.e. WW2) than the latter half, in fact in 1948 the army switched to a whole different style entirely.

He joined in March 1946 and served until 31 Dec 1948. He trained at Camp Lee and served his time in Germany. He was promoted to Cpl. at the end of his service period, but all the photos I have of him are with his private stripes, so I chose those.

I am doing one other display, for another Uncle in the Air Corps from 1939-43. Would he have had these type of stripes or would there have been a different type of stripes?

I appreciate your help! I was really excited to find these on Saturday!

Early/Pre-War chevrons for an Army Private First Class, look totally legit to me. Was he this rank during his service? Keep in mind too that these were more common in the early/mid 40s (i.e. WW2) than the latter half, in fact in 1948 the army switched to a whole different style entirely.

These chevrons are wool applique construction and would be much more "correct" for a 1939-1943 Air Corps enlistment, rather than a 1946-1948 enlistment. You should grab the twill patches for the post-war display.

The ribbon bars you are seeking are easily found on this forum in the for sale section, or ebay. A couple bucks a piece is about right for the ribbon bars. The actual medals will cost you a little more. .

Oh . . . this is very interesting! so these would be what they would wear in the Air Corps? I was wondering if they had normal Army stripes or different Air Corps stripes. I saw one patch somewhere online that was a Sgt. stripes with the winged prop underneath it. Would they have been either or?

How could I tell the difference between new twill stripes and 1946 twill stripes?

These chevrons are wool applique construction and would be much more "correct" for a 1939-1943 Air Corps enlistment, rather than a 1946-1948 enlistment. You should grab the twill patches for the post-war display.

The ribbon bars you are seeking are easily found on this forum in the for sale section, or ebay. A couple bucks a piece is about right for the ribbon bars. The actual medals will cost you a little more. .

Then I might keep these for the display about my other Uncle. How would I be able to id a set of Private chevrons from 1946? Also, are felt Sgt. stripes (like the Private ones I have) affordable? The Air Corps Uncle died a Sgt., so it might be fun to have some Sgt. stripes, too. Also, as I am asking anyway . . . what would a good price range for the Private stripes from 1946 be?

US Army Air Corps used the same chevrons as US Army. The winged prop chevron was a variant that was used "unofficially" by the Air Corps only.