"Goof Off" ain't cutting it....need something stronger...ideas?

1canpara

Hey guys, I'm trying to remove a layer or two of repaint from an M-1 that I think has some markings below the overpaint....after a good hour gently rubbing with goof off on a soft cloth and having little to show but a sore hand and stiff fingers, I think I need something stronger but still safe enough to not strip the thing bare.

I know there's lots of threads on this, but I'll be dam*ed if I can find one right now.

Anyone have some suggestions on a good paint remover?

Rick

Rick,

If you aren't too concerned with any small details like markings, you can spray the goof off directly to the helmet, let it sit and soak in for about 30 seconds and that gets to it a bit better. But even that is a long process.

When I uncovered the Canadian MP a bit ago since I didnt know it was under it I sprayed the goof off right on the helmet and the OD green practically ran off exposing about 90% of the MP marking.

Also if the markings have been on there for a while say since WWII or even the 50s if you dont rub too hard it wont harm them at all since they are practically baked on at this point. It will only remove the newer stuff. You will however run into a rough go if you are pulling off say a field overpaint from the same time period.

Another option is acetone (nail polish remover). If used properly, it would remove recent overpaint and should not affect the period paint underneath. Of course, test on a small area to get a sense of reaction time.