Goodwill Find Unknown Flag possible 106INF Div?

Sully

Stopped at a local Goodwill today looking for school clothes for my son, and found this flag propped in a corner with several US flags. Could some one identify it for me? I collect mostly WW1 and not many flags. This one is made from cotton and the numbers are felt. I didn't hit it with a black light yet, it does have the feel of something older. No makers tag to be found or date. I am open to ideas. And a thank you to my wife for helping get a decent photo.

post-131982-0-63896000-1409712931.jpg

Doesn't look like a typical military issued unit flag.They don't have the grommets for mounting to the pole.They slide onto the pole and will have a QM tag inside it.

TrenchfootJoe66

Does the other side have the '106' on it and are the numbers sewn on?

Being that the numbers are felt i don't think it's military.

I have to disagree with you on that bit about the felt. Ive handled lots of WW1 and some WW2 era flags and banners that have used felt. Admittedly, they were generally re-union type items but not all of them. The use of both felt and cotton speak more to its age rather than its origin. Im just not seeing a BSA or Explorer Scout connection for all the above stated reasons but especially because of the fringe.

TrenchfootJoe66

I just looked at the 106th Div Association website. There are several photos of flags similar to yours. Your flag is NOT scout related, period. Its quite nice and probably dates to at least the 50's if not earlier based on the materials. A very nice find.

I am wondering if rather than the 106th Infantry Division, if this was actually for the 106th Infantry Regiment.

http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/wwii/infantry/106thInf/106thInfMain.htm

The 106th Infantry Regiment, originally the 10th Infantry was a New York State National Guard Regiment that took part in the Spanish American War, served as some of the first garrison troops for the Hawaiian Islands, and fought in World War I as the 51st Pioneer Infantry. It was re-designated the 106th Infantry in November of 1940. For its service in World War II, the 106th had 12 companies, all initially recruited from the communities of upstate New York. The entire first battalion companies A, B, C, and D was recruited from Albany. Companies E and H were recruited from Binghamton. Companies F, G, I, and K were recruited from Walton, Oneonta, Mohawk, and Oneida respectively and companies L and M were formed in Utica. Additional Regimental troops were drawn from Catskill, Hudson, and Rome.

Full history on the above link.

Hey guys,

A big Thank You for all the info. I saw it and decided to take a chance for $9.99. I recognized the colors to be that of an infantry division, I thought it could have been a divisional flag of the unit before the SSI was designed. A reunion flag makes sense also. The 106th and 28th Infantry Divisions fought together at the Bulge, so to me it makes sense that a 106th flag could be in central PA.

TrenchfootJoe66

I am wondering if rather than the 106th Infantry Division, if this was actually for the 106th Infantry Regiment.

http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/wwii/infantry/106thInf/106thInfMain.htm

The 106th Infantry Regiment, originally the 10th Infantry was a New York State National Guard Regiment that took part in the Spanish American War, served as some of the first garrison troops for the Hawaiian Islands, and fought in World War I as the 51st Pioneer Infantry. It was re-designated the 106th Infantry in November of 1940. For its service in World War II, the 106th had 12 companies, all initially recruited from the communities of upstate New York. The entire first battalion companies A, B, C, and D was recruited from Albany. Companies E and H were recruited from Binghamton. Companies F, G, I, and K were recruited from Walton, Oneonta, Mohawk, and Oneida respectively and companies L and M were formed in Utica. Additional Regimental troops were drawn from Catskill, Hudson, and Rome.

Full history on the above link.

Its possible but if you look at the 106th Div Association website you can find pics of similar flags with and without the SSI. So my money is still on a divisional flag.

easterneagle87

I am leaning with the Division reunion flag. I picked up a medal in a San Francisco pawn shop that was for a 660 yard race, 106th Inf., 1925. I have it listed on ebay. Additionally, there is a second 106th race medal I saw on ebay as well. If they are reunion items, these guys must have been tight and well organized to have annual events, flags and medals. Brothers in Battle, Brothers in Arms.

Your medal and the other are for the regiment, not the division. The division did not exist until 1942 during WW2. In Army unit nomenclature "106th Infantry" = the regiment. Normally when a division is meant, the word "division" is present. The 106th Infantry Division was an Army of the US division (as opposed to Regular Army or Army National Guard). The 106th Infantry was a NY National Guard unit.