Photos of LTG Whitehead and Maj Shomo Medal of Honor recipient

mmerc20

I'm not really sure what to make of this and amazed I found these. These photos were rolled up in a tube with some various WWII era company group photos (I had to put them under glass to photograph because they still have a severe curve to them after being in the tube for who knows how long).

The first is of LTG E. Whitehead, the CO of 5th AF at a microphone speaking but it is the second photo that floored me. The second is of General Whitehead and Major William Shomo during his Medal of Honor presentation in 1945. I find it interesting that he was presented with a 1909-1942 style despite being at the end of the war. Regardless, I am stunned to find these pictures!

Mike

post-3373-0-45745700-1409623321.jpg

post-3373-0-88586700-1409623328.jpg

Very nice photos. I believe I met the fellow who shot the pics in 1985. His name was Sheffield Sweeny a military photographer in the Pacific and assigned to Shomo's squadron. I have an entire scrap book he gave me including some original negatives. Will have to dig it out and see if any of the negatives are of your pics. Sheffield was an interesting fellow - and very generous. Pased away a couple of years later. He also gave me his unit patch and one chevron that he wore at the MoH ceremony. He had misplaced the other one over the years. He had been recently promoted and did not have the correct chevrons on his uniform. He paid a local native to hand make a pair. He said the woman stayed up all night but in the morning he had a pair. No reason to doubt his story - he wasn't selling anything. There are a number of interesting pics in the album including the plane the Japanese sent to discuss peace. I transferred a few weeks later so never saw Sheffield again.

Please keep me informed if you find them, Crypto. I would love to see what other photos/negatives you have! I wonder how these two ended up in the tube with the other photos. Were his photos distributed any?

Mike

Mike,

Shows how memories fail even mine after 30 years. He gave me two scrape books in 85. All photos were taken while he was assigned to the 82nd. My memory may be fuzzy as to his job but he was definitely involved with photo recon. He may have been in mx. There are a number of aerial shots which somebody trained in photo intel would be able to see what they were interested in. Some I can see emplacements and some just look like jungle to me. Now the photos I remember as negatives are a "negative" print - all are of the Japanese delegation arriving for surrender terms/talks. Plane(s) had a big cross painted on the tail so we wouldn't shoot them down. Photos were taken on Ie Shima. There are also regular pictures of the surrender plane(s). There is a really neat aerial shot marked "Confidential" of the MoH ceremony. Planes are in a line and if you look closely you can see the 82nd Sq lined up in formation. There are three photos of the ceremony. First is Gen Whitehead shaking hands with Maj Shomo - must be just after pinning on the MoH. Second is identical to the one you have of the General laughing. and the last appears to be a long shot Showing Maj Shomo at attention with back to the squadron - possibly waiting for the citation to be read and Gen Whitehead to approach. All are about 3x4s. All are finished in a semi-gloss finish. There are a bunch of pictures of Sheffield's time in the S Pacific. Think he was a enamored with the natives - esp the topless ones. Almost forgot there is a group photo of the 82nd - this is printed on lesser quality paper. Also he told me how they were not allowed to keep a diary so they came up with the idea of photographing where they were - a shot of an island or an event so they would remember where they were - then using that photo with a calendar as the top picture. The ones in the scrape book range from Oct 44 to Jan 45. When I asked him he could not remember the significance of the pics. But after 40 years who could blame him.

post-144747-0-72724800-1409771253.jpg

post-144747-0-12332300-1409771310.jpg

Very nice photos. I believe I met the fellow who shot the pics in 1985. His name was Sheffield Sweeny a military photographer in the Pacific and assigned to Shomo's squadron. I have an entire scrap book he gave me including some original negatives. Will have to dig it out and see if any of the negatives are of your pics. Sheffield was an interesting fellow - and very generous. Pased away a couple of years later. He also gave me his unit patch and one chevron that he wore at the MoH ceremony. He had misplaced the other one over the years. He had been recently promoted and did not have the correct chevrons on his uniform. He paid a local native to hand make a pair. He said the woman stayed up all night but in the morning he had a pair. No reason to doubt his story - he wasn't selling anything. There are a number of interesting pics in the album including the plane the Japanese sent to discuss peace. I transferred a few weeks later so never saw Sheffield again.

I would find this really, really, really interesting as my Grandpa was a maintainer with the 82nd TRS and saw Shomo fly in doing his victory roles. I have his photo album and the unit patch (Disney, with Pegleg Pete at the mascot). I am looking for a P-51D with the noseart "Lois Jeanne" if you have the time or inclination to look at the album.

Sorry, no Lois Jeannie. There are a couple of nose art pictures but not that one. Most look like bomber nose art. It is most likely your Grandfather is in the squadron photo (3 Apr 45) and the MoH aerial shot. Would be glad to make copies if you don't have those. If you want to msg me I can either email copies or print and mail you a copy. I wish I could remember exactly what Sweeny did - pics are copies of official recon shots. He had to have access to the film shot on the recon missions. There are also pics not official looking taken with a hand held camera.

Bob

Johnny Signor

Trotsky1940 , you may want to try this forum, ArmyAirForces.com under their "Units' page for the 82nd P-51 photo , also facebook has a P-51 Mustang page you may want to post asking about the photo .

Trotsky1940 , you may want to try this forum, ArmyAirForces.com under their "Units' page for the 82nd P-51 photo , also facebook has a P-51 Mustang page you may want to post asking about the photo .

Thanks for the suggestion! I already hit that forum once in a while and it's had some great hits for me.

Mike,

Shows how memories fail even mine after 30 years. He gave me two scrape books in 85. All photos were taken while he was assigned to the 82nd. My memory may be fuzzy as to his job but he was definitely involved with photo recon. He may have been in mx. There are a number of aerial shots which somebody trained in photo intel would be able to see what they were interested in. Some I can see emplacements and some just look like jungle to me. Now the photos I remember as negatives are a "negative" print - all are of the Japanese delegation arriving for surrender terms/talks. Plane(s) had a big cross painted on the tail so we wouldn't shoot them down. Photos were taken on Ie Shima. There are also regular pictures of the surrender plane(s). There is a really neat aerial shot marked "Confidential" of the MoH ceremony. Planes are in a line and if you look closely you can see the 82nd Sq lined up in formation. There are three photos of the ceremony. First is Gen Whitehead shaking hands with Maj Shomo - must be just after pinning on the MoH. Second is identical to the one you have of the General laughing. and the last appears to be a long shot Showing Maj Shomo at attention with back to the squadron - possibly waiting for the citation to be read and Gen Whitehead to approach. All are about 3x4s. All are finished in a semi-gloss finish. There are a bunch of pictures of Sheffield's time in the S Pacific. Think he was a enamored with the natives - esp the topless ones. Almost forgot there is a group photo of the 82nd - this is printed on lesser quality paper. Also he told me how they were not allowed to keep a diary so they came up with the idea of photographing where they were - a shot of an island or an event so they would remember where they were - then using that photo with a calendar as the top picture. The ones in the scrape book range from Oct 44 to Jan 45. When I asked him he could not remember the significance of the pics. But after 40 years who could blame him.

Seeing your surrender photos is wonderful. I have a nice collection of original surrender photos myself (no negatives). I have them posted here: http://www.mercierarmory.com/militaria/surrender.html