• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Salvage Sailor

NAVOCEANO The Oceanographic Office and her Vessels AGS AGOR AGOS

Those are some really cool patches.I like the USS SanPablo.Reminds me of the move The Sand Pebbles.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

The ex-Water Witch, which the Navy converted to a Mermaid.....

USNS FLYER (T-AGS-178) Bathymetric Research ship in service 1965-1975

Acquired for "Project Caesar", the cover name of the installation of SOSUS (Sound Surveillance System)

by the Military Sealift Command 1960's. Also mis-spelled, MILARY, must have been distracted.....

T-AGS-178 USS FLYER 001.jpg

T-AGS-178 USS FLYER 002.jpg

I have a Navy Good Conduct medal group to a Warrant Machinist that served aboard Bowditch from Oct. 41 to August 45. No patches with it however.

Wharf

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

GREAT collection!I like these types of ships.

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

And then there's the USS SERRANO (AGS-24). She was a Fleet Tug (ATF-112), a WWII and China occupation vet decommissioned in 1950. While her Salvage sister's were commissioned for Korean combat service, she sat out the 1950's but was then specifically recommissioned in 1960 as a shallow water survey ship to remap the Pacific waters. Unlike the other AGS types which were much larger and dedicated to scientific endeavors, SERRANO still had her Fleet Tug armament, 3" gun, 40 mm's, 20 mm's, .50 cals and small arms. Perfect for an Indochina holiday cruise. She spent many a day cruising the waterways of Vietnam from Da Nang to Vung Tau to Hue peacefully surveying the coastlines and rivers along with those of disputed Korean, Chinese and Taiwanese territories. She was awarded six vietnam campaign stars and decommissioned in 1970 after a job well done.

USS SERRANO (AGS-24) ex-ATF112

Charting for the Future

AGS-24 USS SERRANO 001.jpg

AGS-24 USS SERRANO 002.jpg

And then there's the USS SERRANO (AGS-24). She was a Fleet Tug (ATF-112), a WWII and China occupation vet decommissioned in 1950. While her Salvage sister's were commissioned for Korean combat service, she sat out the 1950's but was then specifically recommissioned in 1960 as a shallow water survey ship to remap the Pacific waters. Unlike the other AGS types which were much larger and dedicated to scientific endeavors, SERRANO still had her Fleet Tug armament, 3" gun, 40 mm's, 20 mm's, .50 cals and small arms. Perfect for an Indochina holiday cruise. She spent many a day cruising the waterways of Vietnam from Da Nang to Vung Tau to Hue peacefully surveying the coastlines and rivers along with those of disputed Korean, Chinese and Taiwanese territories. She was awarded six vietnam campaign stars and decommissioned in 1970 after a job well done.

USS SERRANO (AGS-24) ex-ATF112

Charting for the Future

USS SERRANO (AGS-24)

AGS-24 USS SERRANO 001.jpg

AGS 24 USS SERRANO 001.jpg