RIP: Craig Pickrall, USMF co-founder, teacher, mentor and more

Bob Hudson

I never had the opportunity to meet Craig in person. In the few conversations that we had here on the forum he was always very generous with his knowledge and always had a willingness to help out a fellow collector. Mr Pickrall was a true gentleman and will be sorely missed. I hope that this forum that he helped to create lives on in his honor.

My condolences to his family.

Rest in Peace sir.

Dennis

Have had my own Shiva for the Mensch. He will be missed by all now and forever. His knowledge will be passed in all the books he has been part of.

I live near Craig and when I heard he was sick I made it a point to meet him. He and his wife were welcoming and hospitable, and Craig, though weakened, was happy to show me his collection. He had so many documents that he hadn't had time to go through them all - he was someone interested in the back story of military gear and made it a point to find answers. Even then he wanted to share information, and I will try to pay it forward by sharing some of what he copied for me. I wish the best for his family and hope that they can find a measure of solace in the respect and admiration so many feel for Craig.

Fading light

Falling night
Trumpet call, as the sun, sinks in flight
Sleep in peace, comrade dear,

God is near.

My thoughts and prayers are with our comrade's family. His legacy will live on, long after we are gone.

With deepest respect,

Joe

I was able to converse with Craig a few times after joining the forum and he was always a gracious and informative person. Having posted multiple pieces of field gear on this forum, it was only a matter of minutes before Craig came on and posted examples and information to help....I am saddened to hear of his passing.

RIP Craig.....God bless you and your family.

Philip

RIP Craig and condolences to his family. A lot of years ago when I lived in NY we used to ride down to Lynchburg and stay at Craig's house and make trips down to Ft Bragg on buying sprees. He really helped a lot of us out, and he will not be forgotten

Burning Hazard

Very saddened to hear of Craig's passing. I first met Craig online years ago before USMF, back then I was still a young collector and his vast knowledge of field gear helped me grow in that area. Truly a giant in the US militaria world.

RIP Craig, you will be missed.

Pat

One of the few true gentlemen in the hobby, the rare type who, if you were interested in the same thing as he, would not only allow you to acquire it but go out of his way to help you research it. Those types are few and far between.

RIP Craig, the 8 years I knew you were far too few

Very Sad News to hear of Craig's Passing..

My Deepest Condolences go out to Craig's Family and Close Friends at this sad time of sorrow,

May God Bless his Soul, and may he Rest. In. Peace Forever. He is in my thought's and Prayers.

Tomás

post-11464-0-42387300-1408474538.jpg

My deepest condolencies to Craigs family.....and the eulogy posted by Bob of say Hi to Greg for me rings loud and clear....

when this great forum first started i was the first "goddamn" Limey on here and the early postings and chats have made collectors and historians out of us all.

RIP Craig....

Regards

Lloyd member #6

I always enjoyed reading what he would have to say. We never met nor chatted but from his posts he always seemed to be a great guy. RIP and my prayers to his family. It is always sad when the good guys go. But hey, now he can talk with all the vets on the other side.

A very sad piece of news indeed! Craig, your presence was a huge benefit to all of us in the collecting community. Rest in peace friend.

-Ski

I'm really shocked about the news and deeply saddened... Craig was a very nice guy who helped me with my book during the last 3 years, and never asked me a favor for it! I feel blessed to have known this extraordinary man.

My sincere and deepest sympathy to his family and friends!