RIP: Craig Pickrall, USMF co-founder, teacher, mentor and more

Bob Hudson

OMG, I am just devastated by the news of Craig's passing. Our collecting interests are so similar that we often joked that he was my "Brother from another mother". I really regret that we never met in person, but he was a class act and had forgotten more about WWII militaria than I will ever learn. He was always a friendly, knowledgeable, sanity check for my collecting posts, questions and conjectures. RIP my friend and my deepest condolences to all of your family. This forum and the collecting community have lost a legend.

It really hit me like a brick when I read that Craig was ill. Now that I hear of his passing, I am deeply saddened. We have lost an icon in the collecting world.

My condolences to the family..

May you rest in peace Craig.

Stijn

Sorry to hear that Craig finally passed away from his illness. We never met in person although here on the forum, and in a few personal messages, he graciously answered many of my questions regarding field gear. His knowledge was encyclopedic and his generosity in sharing that knowledge unmatched while always maintaining a humble demeanor. Peace to his family, he did them proud.

I've returned just yesterday night from holidays in Finland and I've found this shocking news. In this place I had the opportunity to find some brother like Charlie, Robin and you Craig. See you later Craig, after all I'm only one year younger than you.

I am sorry to hear of Craig's passing. May god bless Craig and his family and may he find eternal happiness in the Kingdom of Heaven. With respect.

Dang, I'm a bit late on this, but RIP Craig and prayers outbound for his family. Your work in starting this endeavor is appreciated by many.

Craig was part of that old guard which in turn became mentors to others thanks to Gunboards, MCF and then then USMF. It was always a treat on the earlier forums and the founding of the USMF when the community were pounding out age ole details and many times Craig was always a major contributor.....he will be missed.

Condolences to Craig's family. Met him and did some trading back in the early 80's, a fine gentleman. The collecting community has lost one of it's best.RIP Craig.

Craig Pickrall will be sadly missed by his family and friends and can I join all those from this forum in adding my condolences.

His books and knowledgeable contributions to the forum have been of immense help to myself, and I am sure to other collectors of US web gear, here in the United Kingdom.

They will remain as his enduring legacy.

Steve

RIP, Craig and condolences to your family and friends. I never knew Craig, but as a co-creator of the forum and an author Craig afforded thousands of collectors and militaria buffs like me the opportunity to view and learn about U.S. gear. A forum like this does not simply spontaneously appear on the web and books don't write themselves. His knowledge, hard work and regard for his fellow collectors have been a gift to us all. Thank you.

Tom

• 11 months later...

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for all the kind words you have to say about Craig, he was the BEST and is always with me every step I take. Thank you for being a part of his joy in collecting.

I am sure he is still collecting as we speak, hope heaven has more room then our basement did.

Thanks again everyone.

Charlotte - Mrs. Craig Pickrall

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
General Apathy

Hi Craig, just saying how much I miss you on this forum, and the private mails we shared, a kindred spirit gone all too soon.

Lewis

General Apathy

Hi Craig, just saying how much I miss you on this forum, and the private mails we shared, a kindred spirit gone all too soon.

Lewis

We often hear that much used phrase ' he will not be forgotten ' hence my previous post just saying I haven't forgotten, I miss the connection both here on the forum and the missing personal mails we shared.

Lewis

• 1 year later...

I remember that I can't remember which of the collecting organizations I was a former member, and I voted for you, Craig! More than once.

Although I've been a Member of this Forum from the beginning, I haven't had my own way to post or follow; now I do. Plus I'm kinda shy...

As I read these great tributes to you, & look at your picture, I know it is my loss not to have asked for your advice about any aspect of our hobby.

More importantly, I didn't know you personally.

Thank you ?

[i'm sorry this is late in coming]