RIP: Craig Pickrall, USMF co-founder, teacher, mentor and more

Bob Hudson

What very sad news. You and your family are in my thoughts, Craig. A good life is measured when someone positively influences another person's life, and based on the outpouring of responses here, that was accomplished a thousand times over.

When I joined this forum, Craig was one of the first members who reached out to me. He was always kind and helpful. He will be greatly missed. We will never be able to repay him for all that he has given to this hobby.

Rest in peace my friend....Kat

Very sad to hear of Craig's passing. Although we've known for awhile that this would be the outcome, it's never easy when the time comes. If it weren't for Craig and his involvement in founding this forum, I would never have met many great friends. I never met Craig but he was very gracious in sharing his knowledge with me on a few occasions.

A life well lived, and so much of it shared with people you never met. We are all very grateful to you. May you rest in peace Craig.

Rick

This is extremely sad for me. Without ever having met him face-on, I have lost a real friend today.

In one of our many Forum conversations, I mentioned that I had been looking for the Cold Weather Gear/Clothing Manual TM 10-275 for some time. His response? He copied out the entire Manual (which he had), covers and all, and sent it to me at no charge whatsoever.

Craig Pickrall was a true, outstanding credit to this Forum, and to the entire collecting hobby.

To say he will be sorely missed is an understatement.

Thanks, Craig, for everything you've been to us.

God's best to the Pickrall family. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Rest easy, Craig. Your legacy and generosity will live on in those you have helped within our shared hobby. My sincerest condolences to your family during this difficult time.

Rest in Peace.

I never had the opportunity to have associated with Craig while a member of USMF but I gurantee I would've liked him.

R.I.P

I never had the privalige of meeting him, but he was obviously a great person & very well respected. His contributions to this hobby will be seen for many years to come. I am glad some of his experience was passed on in book form, so that current & future Militaria collectors may still turn to him for advice!

Rest in peace.

Forum Manager

Before I took over as Forum Manager I had many pm's and conversations with Craig to make sure he was still on board and that we were on the same page. I never got to meet Craig in person, but because of all the messages back and forth I feel like I had known him for a very long time. He will truly be missed in this community.

I have also deleted some posts that were on this thread that were in the wrong place and that didn't really belong.

suwanneetrader

Rest in Peace. Condolences to the family.

I never had the opportunity to have known Craig but from descriptions by those who did, I know he was my kind of guy. R.I.P. Richard

General Apathy

It's with much love, kind thoughts, knowledge, friendship and happiness that Craig lived among us on this forum, and with his family.

We physically lived an ocean apart, and never met, but he was the neighbor next to me with the attributes I mention above, seven years ago he welcomed me to this forum and encouraged me with friendship, knowledge and laughter whenever I posted, we bounced jokes off one-another both on and off line.

Sadly he was the neighbor that never was, but wished I could have, he was the neighbor I would have liked to share some time with, a beer with, a joke with, and I feel and hope that he knew that.

Love to his family, his pain may be gone, and yours begun, my deepest sympathy.

Ken

I can only echo what has already been said many times in this tribute thread. After joining the forum I soon recognized Craig's unparalleled expertise and knowledge base. I was always flattered whenever he saw fit to comment on one of my threads and gradually began to establish an on-line relationship with him. If ever I wanted some additional info on something I would send him a PM, then invariably a detailed, illustrated response would be forthcoming in no time at all! He was always happy to share his vast knowledge of the subject with others in a warm and friendly manner. I've missed his familiar presence on the forum and am saddened by the news, even though we knew it was inevitable. I send my sincere condolences to his wife and family. R.I.P. Craig.

Well, sad news. I had only limited contact with Craig, but he had been helpful each time I asked for informations.

He will be missed as an expert, and when I read all the comments here, above all as a great man.

Repose en paix, Craig Pickrall, et toutes mes condoléances à vos proches.

Etienne

A kind man married to a first class wife. I bought a liner that he had listed on his wifes ebay site. I knew who I was buying from. She sent me a note saying she was sorry that it took so long to ship because she was dealing with Craigs illness. She didn't have to explain a thing to me but she did. First class family all the way.

ARVNcollector

Though I have never met Mr. Craig Pickrall, from all of the outpouring of sympathies, condolences and memories I am moved to pay tribute to a man who has left an indelable mark on the militaria collecting community. A mentor whose contribution to the pursuit and preservation of history will be felt for generations of collectors to come. I certainly have benefited from my short time on this forum.

I imagined that if asked he would say, " I am not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself and as well as you" (George Benard Shaw)

But as we all know, "A teacher affects eternity". (Henry Adams)

My sincere respect to Mr. Pickrall, may he rests in peace. My sympathy and condolence to his family.

Alan