Special Forces Presentation Plaques/Pictures

The following three items were given to me when I left command of HQ Co, USAIMA and SF Co, USAIMA in 1978-1980. The first is a very unique stained glass beret. My 1sgt Ben Jones wife made two of these as samples to be presented to the Commander of IMA for his selection, once he selected the design he liked best he had her make a larger one that would be presented to John Wayne after completion of the movie the Green Berets This one measures 13" X 17". I believe the one presented to John Wayne was around 31" overall. The two samples were returned to Mrs. Jones and he kept one and gave me the other. He had his wife remove the Col Eagle that was on the sample presented to the IMA Cdr and replace it with an oak leaf. The second is a framed hand tooled leather presentation item that was given to me by my NCO's as was the third one. The third one is a painting that was painted by SSG Lester M. Stanley. The fourth is a pic of the back of the skull pic with a description of what each symbol in the painting represents and the signatures of all the men in the cadre..

Terry

post-6022-0-63536500-1409523741.jpg

post-6022-0-69941500-1409523785.jpg

post-6022-0-28118800-1409523955.jpg

post-6022-0-81952700-1409523980.jpg

Major Morris

Very unique and certainly to be proud of!

Heartfelt thanks for being a real Warrior for America.

Wishing you all the best all your life Sir.

• 4 months later...

Maj Morris,

Great plaques. I am curious about the leather tooled plaque. Was that by any chance made by SGM C. Henderson, who was at Fort Devins mid to late 70s? I have two others almost identical in construction. One for a 1lt in B/3/10 and one for the Company commander of A/3/10, Major Woolschlager, that I received from his son who was a company commander in B/1/10. I am in A/3/10 so it has been nice to return it to the company for display.

• 2 weeks later...

Maj Morris,

Great plaques. I am curious about the leather tooled plaque. Was that by any chance made by SGM C. Henderson, who was at Fort Devins mid to late 70s? I have two others almost identical in construction. One for a 1lt in B/3/10 and one for the Company commander of A/3/10, Major Woolschlager, that I received from his son who was a company commander in B/1/10. I am in A/3/10 so it has been nice to return it to the company for display.

Don't know who made it, It was presented to me by my NCO's at Ft. Bragg.

• 4 weeks later...

Maj Morris,

It may have been a Henderson. That rings a bell. Short guy, big ears. He took orders and sold those thru the JFK SW Musuem gift shop, late '70-early 80s . I had him do one for me in 1980 when I was cross-training in Demo Ph 2. I had him put my ODA members and team number on it. I was on a mountain team at the time, so it's got the same GB rappelling off a cliff face. I had also bought a generic skull with a beret and S-F fighting knife when I got out of the Q a year earlier. I do recall you at SF company. I think I was in one of Craige Maxim's last PH 1 classes, assisted by the lovely Tom T Tannehill. In Demo school in 1980, Bonfiglio was CO, Willie Chong, Jr, 1Sgt, (from my hometown) and McClain was Op Sgt.