M3 Knife

Minuteman

Hi,

25 years ago I got this knife from the father of a Norwegian girl I was dating at the time.
He worked as a diver in the oil business and got this knife from a friend when he was working in the US.
The knife had never been used when I got it. It had a layer of some black sticky stuff on the metal plates and the rivets on the scabbard (you can se some is still left around the rivets) and on the blade. It was kind of sticky. I removed it.
Unfortunately I had it in my vest doing a one year tour in Bosnia 93 during the war which I surely regret. Blade is in very good condition, no dents or chips never used by me just hanging in my harness belt. I have quite a lot of knives and it feels like great quality looks well made. Doesn't feel like a copy.
Can you help me with this knife. Is it a fake or? Attaching some pictures that I hope will help.
Best regards
Tomas Tallbom, Sweden

post-154129-0-59646100-1409468359.jpg

post-154129-0-49690100-1409468373.jpg

post-154129-0-82210000-1409468381.jpg

post-154129-0-48829200-1409468390.jpg

post-154129-0-83688800-1409468399.jpg

post-154129-0-86025600-1409468411.jpg

post-154129-0-48872800-1409468425.jpg

post-154129-0-71297000-1409468433.jpg

I don't recall seeing a DOUBLE pinned pommel before...

I can see CAMILLUS underneath the USM3 logo...

Interesting variation?

Scabbard looks totally awesome!

Hi,

Thanks for answering. I read somewhere that some producers could have double pinned pommel on their mod.

Found this discussion:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178052-took-a-gamble-on-an-m3-tonight/

Can't change my topic line since I'm new on the forum, but wish some of the gentlemen talking in that discussion could take a look at mine as well.

Well lets hope they see this. My regrets is that I used it, handle looks like that since my gun many times lay on it :-) Also removed the leather strap that was winded in some way but I don't know how to make it look like that again, still the original leather strap though.

Regards

Tomas

Tomas- You have a very nice, legitimate Camillus guard marked M3 Trench Knife. Reproduction Camillus M3s have only one pin holding the pommel, and the stamp on the guard faces the opposite direction. Plus, you have a very nice SBL, M6 scabbard with what looks like the original tie-down leather thong. Very nice hang on to the set, it was a nice gift. As you stated it is the nice you carried in Bosnia, you have a direct connection to the knife you carried in a combat zone. SKIP

Thank you SKIP! Really appreciate it. Yes that is the original tie-down leather thong. As one paratrooper in my platoon said when he held it "-this could be the coolest most balanced combat knife ever":-).

Well there are many knives out there but I have to agree about the quality and feel it gives you when you hold it. So I will put it back in the drawer where it has been since 94 when I got back from Bosnia.

Thank you very much for your help SKIP

Regards

Tomas

Tomas

Very nice and in great shape for a Camillius of this age, and carried with you. She is a real looker. Thank you for posting the pair.

Tony

• 2 months later...

VERY NICE M3 with a great M6. Clean it up and put it away. If you only need/want one M3 that set is about as good as it gets; especially since you carried it on your gear. Thanks for the post.

The knife combo probably came out of Norway. SBL scabbards at one time were hard to find, then Norway started releasing their reserves of surplus knives/scabbards and SBL's started showing up. While this one does not show the most common characteristics of a Norway scabbard; darker color from preservative they applied and moving the knife snap, it probably came from there. Just a thought, as a guard marked Camillus would probably not have been with an M6 scabbard and if it was it most likely would have been with a MILSCO scabbard and not SBL. Only swags on my part but a great combo either way. Keep it stored in a good spot and it will last your lifetime and you will have some good stories to go with it.