WW2 AAF Type C-2 Flying Vest or Zippered Wool Sweater

Wedgehead30

I recently purchased part of an estate of a 95 year old woman whose first husband was a B-25 Pilot killed in 1943. Fortunately she took very good care of his things and this sweater is as close to new as you can get without a time machine. This is a Type C-2 Flying Vest as the army called it, or simply a wool zippered sweater. It took some hunting to nail down what this exactly was when I first got it. Seems they are very uncommon and there's just not a lot of information out there. Given the overall excellent condition of this one I felt I would be remiss if I didn't document it for future reference. Below I've added what I was able to find out and several photos. I can add specific photos if requested.

I've found this forum to be one of the best reference sources available. I hope my meager addition is helpful to the other members. Feel free to add additional information.

Scott

Type C-2 Flying Vest

The Type C-2 was a light weight wool sweater intended for layering under flying clothing. With the title "Vest - Flying Winter, Type C-2," the Class 13 Catalog described the C-2 as follows.

"For wear with winter flying suit only. Sweater-type vest made of olive drab worsted yarns. Raglan sleeves with rib knit cuffs. Rib knit vee type collar. Tubular rib knit waistband. Interlocking slide fastener."

The C-2 was available in even sizes from 36 through 50. According to the Type Designation Sheet documented in Sweeting, the C-2 was designated as Standard on June 18, 1934, as Limited Standard on June 2, 1944, and as Obsoleted and Removed April 10, 1946. The example featured here and made by the Goodwear Knitting Mills is a size 40 but seems to have suffered substantial shrinkage. This particular one sized out as follows. Chest 17 1/2 inches, Shoulder 19 inches, Sleeve 21 inches, Length 23 1/2 inches and Waist 13 1/2 inches. Note that all sizes are approximate and the shoulder and sleeve measurements are best approximations due to the lack of a shoulder seam. A highlight of this C-2 is the Waldes Kover-Zip zipper which incorporates a complex fabric cover over the teeth. It would seem the purpose of this cover is to act as a windbreaker.

post-124172-0-05575700-1409372256.jpgpost-124172-0-03414800-1409372257.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. I'd definately like tolerance more about the man who wore it too. Any idea on name and bomb group? This just begs to bring his story back to life!

Thanks for sharing this. I'd definitely like to learn more about the man who wore it too. Any idea on name and bomb group? This just begs to bring his story back to life!

2nd Lieutenant Paul G. Heitmeyer, 77th Bomb Squadron 28th Bomb Group, Heavy. Died 23 NOV 1943. And given the condition of the sweater and other uniform items, I doubt it was ever worn.

American Graffiti

Beautiful that thing looks brand new. Lovely style WALDES zipper.

Awesome find and background history, thanks for sharing,

AG

• 3 years later...

I've had C-2 sweaters before, but not as nice as yours. The used the same style zipper as the original Cooper A-2s.

• 5 years later...