Fresh from the trash!

USdog

I've only found one footlocker on the curb, and it was full of junk/trash...I knocked on the door and found out it was the home owner's brothers, but they had nothing else...still glad for a free footlocker, but dang it would have been nice to get something like this! I'm still waiting to find one on the curb full of Lugers though!

Mark sends

Great pick up... My advice? Go to the door and ask if there is anything else. This may be the tip of the iceberg and chances are if they saw no value in these items...you might be surprised at what a gentle word and subtle offer may bring.

One of my best friends lives in Conroe Texas and was driving on his way to work. Passed a farm house along the way and saw a foot locker by the curb. Long story short, he found a full footlocker to a WW2 USMC MoH recipient... yes, including the engraved MoH in the orig case at the bottom of the locker. When he approached the house, the vets daughter explained that he had recently passed and they were "cleaning house". When my friend Dan explained what was in the footlocker she was gracious and told him he could keep everything and went into the house and brought out the rest of the "junk" that they were saving for the next trash run. Minty P41 frogskins, helmet, etc

The MoH and some of the artifacts are now in a museum as my friend didnt feel right about keeping it. Moral of the story (as I'm sure you already know), never hurts to ask. Great eye, and great save. Makes you wonder though.. how much of this stuff is missed and does end up in the dump....

Wow! That's crazy. A shame people don't go through things before tossing them aside.

D

As noted, you rarely see the boxes for the Vietnamese medals. And they are in decent shape as well. Nice save.

I've only found one footlocker on the curb, and it was full of junk/trash...I knocked on the door and found out it was the home owner's brothers, but they had nothing else...still glad for a free footlocker, but dang it would have been nice to get something like this! I'm still waiting to find one on the curb full of Lugers though!

Mark sends

A footlocker full of Lugers sure would be nice! But I can't complain! I have literally dreamed of this kind of thing happening... Lol

As noted, you rarely see the boxes for the Vietnamese medals. And they are in decent shape as well. Nice save.

Thanks for the help guys. Luckily the boxes aren't too bad. A couple of the items were water damaged as there was a bad storm here. These were probably in a basement and thus, to the curb they went. But surprising only a couple items are a little wet/moist. So I'm not sure why it all went

I would assume that the Leavenworth DI decal is there because the recipient went through either CAS Cube or Command and General Staff College (CGSC) as a student during his military career. Great pick up!

Allan

...we prize this stuff, but others see it as junk that no longer serves a purpose. My Father in Law served 30 years in the USMC with two tours in Vietnam. When he retired, he dumped all of his stuff in the local land fill.

You have got to be kidding right?!

That would NEVER happen to 99% of the population

Talk about right place/right time!

You are one lucky button dude...congrats!

Great pick up... My advice? Go to the door and ask if there is anything else. This may be the tip of the iceberg and chances are if they saw no value in these items...you might be surprised at what a gentle word and subtle offer may bring.

One of my best friends lives in Conroe Texas and was driving on his way to work. Passed a farm house along the way and saw a foot locker by the curb. Long story short, he found a full footlocker to a WW2 USMC MoH recipient... yes, including the engraved MoH in the orig case at the bottom of the locker. When he approached the house, the vets daughter explained that he had recently passed and they were "cleaning house". When my friend Dan explained what was in the footlocker she was gracious and told him he could keep everything and went into the house and brought out the rest of the "junk" that they were saving for the next trash run. Minty P41 frogskins, helmet, etc

The MoH and some of the artifacts are now in a museum as my friend didnt feel right about keeping it. Moral of the story (as I'm sure you already know), never hurts to ask. Great eye, and great save. Makes you wonder though.. how much of this stuff is missed and does end up in the dump....

Talk about a great find! but seriously how could the family do something like that, it makes me sick

-Dave

I stopped by an estate sale yesterday, and found some stuff from a Korean War submarine vet. Not a lot, but a few things, mostly reunion paperwork. I asked if there was anything else, and the lady running the sale said that the family had thrown away everything that had his name on it. I can only imaging what there was in that house, but now it's lost. I'm glad you got to that trash pile before the truck came by to haul it away forever!

Yeah it's really sick what people through away. Probably a lot worse back then though. My grandfather used to dumpster dive in the 50's and said there was a whole lot of military stuff :( Rifles, pistols, uniforms, you name it. He did save a Mauser pistol from the dump but later traded it.

I would assume that the Leavenworth DI decal is there because the recipient went through either CAS Cube or Command and General Staff College (CGSC) as a student during his military career. Great pick up!

Allan

CAS3 wasn't invented until the mid 1980s.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I was driving down the neighborhood and spotted a military trunk at the curb! I grabbed it and brought it home. Didn't think anything was in there BUT there was :)

The footlocker. (Sorry for bad pic, in the garage temporarily.)

yqytu2yq.jpg

The good stuff!

ura7aveb.jpg

Wwii air medal :)

9ujajygy.jpg

Bronze star is also wwii, but in a new case.

Footlocker also had a doctors looking bag and a lot of framed documents.

remeze3y.jpg

yge4e2eq.jpg

Anyone know what the medals on the left are? Vietnam era?

Enjoy guys....

Luckily I got these in time as the garbage truck was there the next hour!

great to save some history, well done!