Fresh from the trash!

USdog

This morning I was driving down the neighborhood and spotted a military trunk at the curb! I grabbed it and brought it home. Didn't think anything was in there BUT there was :)

The footlocker. (Sorry for bad pic, in the garage temporarily.)

Posted Image

The good stuff!

Posted Image

Wwii air medal :)

Posted Image

Bronze star is also wwii, but in a new case.

Footlocker also had a doctors looking bag and a lot of framed documents.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone know what the medals on the left are? Vietnam era?

Enjoy guys....

Luckily I got these in time as the garbage truck was there the next hour!

Holy cow! Incredible find....and to think it was only minutes from being cast into a landfill to be lost forever! I never run into this kind of thing on the curb around my town!

Nice score and great save!

Rick

Holy cow that is one great find. Nice medals and painted leather bag. Kinda reminds me of what I found in the trash once, one of the 3 multi purpose nested wood boxes the army uses. This one was stamped "KFOR FIELD SAN BOX 2" was missing its lid and filled with trash. While I was removing the trash I noticed a gray soviet fur cap, possibly a souvenir from the soldier's time in Kosovo. Again you picked up an awesome find.

The Vietnamese medals are the Armed Forces Honor Medal, first class; Campaign Medal; and two Army Gallantry Crosses, with bronze stars. My first guess would be that the recipient served as an advisor to an ARVN regiment.

Anyone know what the medals on the left are? Vietnam era?

All are Vietnamese made VN war era Vietnamese medals. The little cardboard boxes for them are something that you rarely see.

Nice score!

BigDogMilitaria

Connor... Awesome score . Go back and get the address and start doing some reverse lookups, You might have some luck finding info on the former owner.

Incredible buddy. I've never seen anything as even remotely cool as that headed for the dump. Awesome, awesome score!

Great pick up... My advice? Go to the door and ask if there is anything else. This may be the tip of the iceberg and chances are if they saw no value in these items...you might be surprised at what a gentle word and subtle offer may bring.

One of my best friends lives in Conroe Texas and was driving on his way to work. Passed a farm house along the way and saw a foot locker by the curb. Long story short, he found a full footlocker to a WW2 USMC MoH recipient... yes, including the engraved MoH in the orig case at the bottom of the locker. When he approached the house, the vets daughter explained that he had recently passed and they were "cleaning house". When my friend Dan explained what was in the footlocker she was gracious and told him he could keep everything and went into the house and brought out the rest of the "junk" that they were saving for the next trash run. Minty P41 frogskins, helmet, etc

The MoH and some of the artifacts are now in a museum as my friend didnt feel right about keeping it. Moral of the story (as I'm sure you already know), never hurts to ask. Great eye, and great save. Makes you wonder though.. how much of this stuff is missed and does end up in the dump....

Yes, the Meritorious Service Medal is named on the reverse. Funny I didn't see that until you asked. Already did research on him as the bag was named and found out he received the bronze star for valor and legion of merit in '69. Found info on vietnamwarhonors.com.

Awesome! Definitely go back to the house- all they can do is say no.

Kyle

Or once they realize someone's interested in them they might accuse you of stealing the trunk from their premises.

Best to not make waves.

Thanks for the comments guys.... I think it I'm going to do what Bob Hudson said and keep quiet as they live right by me :/ If they lived far away then I wouldn't care.