Need help with identifying ribbons on AFS veteran uniform

Jeeperz83

Pictured is a ribbon set on an inter-war 1st Division officer uniform from a veteran who had WW1 service with the AFS prior to entering the U.S Army. Other than the WWI Victory medal ribbon and the British War medal ribbon, I'm at a loss for an ID on the others. I believe the the center ribbon in the top bar may be a 1914 Star but sewn on backwards?

Can anyone provide any identification on the other ribbons? Any help is appreciated.

post-6732-0-75601000-1409330334.jpg

Top row; US Victory w/4 campaign stars / France Medal of Honor of Epidemics / France Medal of Recognition

Bottom row; France WWI Commemorative medal / Japan Order of the Rising Sun / British War Medal / British Victory medal

Bluejacket

Bluejacket is correct all of the way until the very last ribbon- that is the ribbon for the 19914 or 1914-15 "Mons" Star. The British Victory medal ribbon is multicolored like the US WWI Victory medal ribbon.

Allan

Hallo,

The 1914/14-15 star ribbon should really be placed before the British War Medal. Should also have been entitled to the British Victory Medal.

Paul H.

It looks like the 1914/15 Star and the British War Medal ribbons have been sewn on upside down. The Star Ribbon should be displayed Red - White - Blue.

Bluejacket is correct all of the way until the very last ribbon- that is the ribbon for the 19914 or 1914-15 "Mons" Star. The British Victory medal ribbon is multicolored like the US WWI Victory medal ribbon.

Allan

DUH!!!! I knew that. Thought Star....typed Victory. Thanks Allen.

Bluejacket

Bluejacket-

I know that you knew that. You did a great job of nailing the ID of the ribbons. I would have NEVER gotten the Japanese Order of the Rising Sun. Who thinks of Japanese awards to an American in World War I?

OSTA- you are right about the 1914 Star ribbon being upside-down. There was a prohibition against soldiers wearing multiple victory medals since the ribbons were all pretty similar. I assume that since he qualified for an American award, he didn't wear the British award. Assuming that all of these ribbons were actually earned by the soldier, he spent a lot of time at the front. The British held the 1914 Star in VERY high regard as one had to have gone to the front in 1914 (and later 1915) to earn it. Most who earned it were professional soldiers.

Allan