My MB just turned 70...

willysmb44

Not bad for a Jeep that has never been restored, huh? Being in the middle of a work week, I wasn't sure I'd be able to fire her up on her 70th, but it seemed like something I had to do. So, I drove her into the back yard and got some shots last night.

My wife, of course, thinks it was the height of silliness to do this...

post-2617-0-80625100-1409325365.jpg

Huzzah Lee! Great photo.

Thanks. You should have seen the look on the face of my neighbor as I passed down the easement in the Jeep, heading into my back yard, with a 4-foot stepladder in the back.

Thanks. You should have seen the look on the face of my neighbor as I passed down the easement in the Jeep, heading into my back yard, with a 4-foot stepladder in the back.

Hi willys...

Just a quick question...how did you come about owning this little baby?

Just a quick question...how did you come about owning this little baby?

Extracted from my website: http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/willysmb366014.htm

So, where did you get it?

"Be careful what you wish for; You just might get it."

-Unknown

I was at the August, 1999 Bremerton, WA fly-in with my living history group. Someone from the CAF had a Jeep driving by, and I made a comment to one of the other guys, "Man, I'd give anything to have one of those." He responded by saying, "Really? There's a guy down there who has one in about that kind of shape" (refering to the one that'd just driven past).

I went over to the vehicle pointed out to me, and there was a nice GPW. Yep, he had a WW2 Jeep for sale, all right. He rebuilt Jeeps and the wife wouldn't let him bring in some "restoration candidates" he was eyeing until he sold one of his many running Jeeps. He told me how much (a decent price, even then) and that it ran. I thought it'd be a bucket of rust and missing parts, but I said I'd be by to see it. A week or two later, I half-heartedly went out there (it was a LONG haul for me) and really had no intention of buying it. I'm still not sure why I didn't make up an excuse not to go. When I saw it for the first time, my jaw dropped. All five combat rims, paint about 15-20 years old, but painted at that time with original WW2 paint. It needed a new top, bows, and probably new seat cushions, but it ran. It's service history was even known, from the shipyard at Bremerton. Even though it was a... ick... Navy Jeep, I was sure I'd be able to make good use of it. I had a handshake deal with the guy, said I'd be back as soon as I could to pay him off.

I had no idea how to pay for it. I was a newly-minted Army 2LT with not a lot of money. I swallowed my pride and called my parents. Dad's first "car" was a 1942 GPW and spoke fondly of it all my life. I told him what I needed and he agreed right away to loan me the money.

Meanwhile, a doctor with a lot more money than I had found out about the Jeep, and offered the guy a grand more than I was going to pay. He was declined as "a deal is a deal." This was no BS, as I met that Doctor months later and he had told me the story, not the seller. I returned, paid with a personal check (I'd offered him a MO, but he said it wasn't needed), and drove the thing the 100 miles to my place. Looking back on it, I was a fool to drive an untested MV that far with no plan on what to do if it broke down. My girlfriend at the time (now my long-suffering wife) drove me up to get it and then followed me all the way home. Soon, I was driving it onto post at Fort Lewis. Folks there didn't know what to make of it and I was known as "that Jeep LT" for a while. It sure turned heads when I got stuck in the middle of a convoy, I can assure you of that!

What a truly wonderful story...

You are a lucky cobber...

Well my friend, look after her, she is yours now...

Wow, great story!

Thanks, I'd had enough people ask me that over the years, it just made sense to write it down. The convoy comment was a story in itself, I was going over to have my annual hearing check and drove the Jeep across Fort Lewis. I got caught up in a Canadian Army convoy heading ot the railhead to get their vehicles loaded onto a train (I assume heading to Yakima). The reactions of the soldiers in the truck ahead of me were hilarious, you could tell they were pondering how the Jeep got there and I assume wondering if it was still government property. I only drove it to the post a few times but each time was always an adventure.

Click the link where I posted that, there are also photos of the Jeep when i saw it for the first time.

Congratulations Lee on the 70th birthday of your GPW. She doesn't look a day over 39! B)

And, beautiful photo to document the date. Well done...!

Zeph

• 2 months later...

Hello,

A little confused on this, first posting was for an MB turning 70 then story turned to a GPW turning 70. Where's the picture of the GPW?

Traveler turned 70 this past February 1, 2014, Yup, took a seat in Traveler that day and wished em Happy B-Day. Always like to hear stories about other peoples Jeeps :D

And if I can figure out how to upload a picture I'll post.

Best Regards

Jim

A little confused on this, first posting was for an MB turning 70 then story turned to a GPW turning 70. Where's the picture of the GPW?

My story was a tad confusing. I was looking at a GPW at the show, but the owner of that GPW had a MB he was willing to sell. That's the one I bought, that MB he didn't have with him at the time.

Darn nice looking MB, but what's its name? Sure looks to be in nice shape, and you say she's never been restored. WOW, those don't come along to often least not in that shape. Traveler was a case when I started, but has a lot going fer em before I started. Matching engine, frame and tub. I did a complete tear down and overhall down to the last bolt. I mean the LAST bolt. Though there may be a bolt or two I forgot when putting em back together :rolleyes: Kidding.

Sure Like to see some more pictures, I'll do the same.

Best Regard fellow Jeeper.