41st Infantry Division Theater Made Beaded patch for review!

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

Hello all.. I purchased this uniform this morning from the Veterans Sister-In Law. She had told me last week that she had a uniform at home and if i was interested. She called this morning and said she was on the way up to the small Flea Market I set up at.I about fell over when i saw her walking up to my table. I like a nice SSI like everyone else, but i am a uniform guy and this is an absolute stunner for my collection!

The 41st ID patch is in excellent shape. No missing beads, colors are vibrant. I tried researching this style of patch here but didnt really find much. I wanted to share it with you guys and also hear opinions, history, etc on these types of patches. As always, thanks for looking! ...Jay

post-52765-0-29184900-1409267510.jpg

Very interesting piece! I generally see where someone adds beads to a standard cut-edged patch. This one looks like it was made on a felt/wool material. Lots of work went into this piece.

These come in two sizes, and you have the larger one. I have seen them on both felt and deer or elk hide. I can't remember the full story, but they were made by one of the NW Native American tribes....I believe from Oregon....one of the 41st Division experts probably knows.

BigDogMilitaria

Thanks for the comments fellas. Hopefully I will be able to get the pictures that lady had. Im hoping there is a shot of the uniform being worn in one. I have quite a few uniforms in the collection, but this one might stand out the most!

There were two articles pubbed in The Trading Post - J-S 1999 and A-J 2003 - on beaded patches. A 41st was featured.

When the patches first started showing up years ago, okay, decades ago, many people thought that Native Americans made them for the tourist trade.