WWII NAVIGATOR WINGS?

BEAST

These have been in my collection long before the days of the internet. Now that we have this forum, I thought I would bring them out and get some opinions on them. They are poorly marked but I think it reads STERLING and the pin open 180 degrees. They appear to have stress cracks on the back, something I have never seen in a wing. Of course I didn't pay that much attention to wings in the past. So let me know what you think!

post-203-1214164658.jpg

post-203-1214164673.jpg

OK, I am going to revise my description. As I said, the marking is very poor. I just looked at it with a stronger magnifying glass and it appears to read ".....10K" not sure what is stamped before the "10K" marking.

By the way, thanks to all who commented about Photoshop CS and Essentials. As you may be can tell, I have started to mess around more with Essentials.

robert60446

Hi,

Hardware and wings looks good to me, but is possible for you to post to us straight shot / picture of reverse?

Hi,

Hardware and wings looks good to me, but is possible for you to post to us straight shot / picture of reverse?

Thanks for your input. Is this what you are looking for? This is about as close as I can get with my camera.

post-203-1214183986.jpg

post-203-1214183993.jpg

John Cooper

BEAST - a bit hard to tell from the reverse shots due to the reflection of the flash. Does you camera have a macro setting and can you adjust the ISO settings?

As for the wing the first photo although hard to see the details looks good but I would like to see more photos if at all possible. If not does the hardware look had attached and is there evidence of the die strike process on the outter edge of the wing?

John

John, Robert,

Thank you for your thoughts. I am on travel, but will post some photos when I get back. Would it be better without the flash?

John Cooper
John, Robert,

Thank you for your thoughts. I am on travel, but will post some photos when I get back. Would it be better without the flash?

Beast - yes if you can do it without the flash. If you use natural light and adjust the ISO setting to let more light in. I have found at the lower settings you have to have a very steady hand. If not buy yourself a mini tripod which should do the trick.

What make and model of camera do you have?

John

Beast - yes if you can do it without the flash. If you use natural light and adjust the ISO setting to let more light in. I have found at the lower settings you have to have a very steady hand. If not buy yourself a mini tripod which should do the trick.

What make and model of camera do you have?

John

John, I have an older Mavica. I use a tripod or a photo stand depending on the angle. I built a box that will diffuse light, but the shots look too dark to me. I usually take photos with and without the flash, so when I get back home, I will post the photos taken without the flash.

John Cooper
John, I have an older Mavica. I use a tripod or a photo stand depending on the angle. I built a box that will diffuse light, but the shots look too dark to me. I usually take photos with and without the flash, so when I get back home, I will post the photos taken without the flash.

Does your camera allow you do adjust the settings becuase the shots appear to be over exposed or should I say have too much light in them. Additionally you can use software to adjust the brightness and contrast and various other things to help make you photo look they whay you want it to look.

Which model do you have?

John

Ok guys, here is another attempt. By the way my camera is a Mavica FD 83.

post-203-1214619214.jpg

post-203-1214619220.jpg

Not that great of a photo, but it does show the best closeup that I can get.

post-203-1214619226.jpg

This wing looks O.K. to me...just like one of my father's wings from WWII, although his are marked "sterling" and no flaw on the reverse. A 10k mark would be somewhat baffling...how long is it? Should be 3".