3 Stripe Rank - Corporal or Captain

gitana

Isnt this a violation of the rules discussing NON-US militaria???

Just sayin' :o

Not really. It is a discussion about US produced and used militaria in use with other armies, specifically M1 helmets, which I think is well within the rules.

The point of all of this is to, hopefully, be able to compare these markings to determine what might be the correct meaning when the next one pops up. I, for one, would like to know if I have a Korean-used helmet from the 1950s or a US Navy helmet. It's hard to tell when the markings are exactly the same. And don't worry Mr. McCarthy, I haven't shown any helmets that weren't American-made. The fact that this particular marking is used in multiple countries, and even in multiple branches, is something we should be aware of.

Okay, queue some country music, corn dogs, and a good ol' game of soccer I mean BASEBALL!

So I've found a Navy variation, and now here's an Airborne version.

attachicon.gifFlorio Piccinni, 505th PIR, 82nd.jpg

Florio Piccinni, 505th PIR, 82nd AB

Maybe the three stripes represent each time he broke one of his legs.

attachicon.gifFlorio Piccinni, 505th PIR, 82nda.jpg

Note the odd shoulder boards that are applied to their HBTS, they too have three bars on them, some kind of local unit level OPFOR insignia in this case I'm sure.

Note the odd shoulder boards that are applied to their HBTS, they too have three bars on them, some kind of local unit level OPFOR insignia in this case I'm sure.

Do you think that's the case with the helmet markings as well? It's possible we can discount that photo as the markings aren't as similar as the others, and if OPFOR I'm sure they didn't stay on.

Do you think that's the case with the helmet markings as well? It's possible we can discount that photo as the markings aren't as similar as the others, and if OPFOR I'm sure they didn't stay on.

Given that the men with those funky shoulder boards have the exact same three bars, then yes, I would say the markings on the helmet are related.

In fact the close up shows what looks like Tape.

post-14792-0-98976600-1432754274.jpg

Matt Mattock

Hi there, the helmet markings and the shoulder boards in the picture should be an Aggressor Force captain rank;

You can find a rank table here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185819-unknown-shirt-hat/

In the shown pictures, the soldiers aren't wearing the modified M1 liner for Aggressor Forces, maybe for safety when they jump, i think. For sure in 1952, 82nd units play an aggressor role.

Remember that OPFOR is descendant of Aggressor Force.

U.S. Army's Aggressor Force (aka Manouver Enemy) was an asymmetrical opponent training program that ran from November 1946 to 1978, when the Circle Trigonists were retired in favor of an openly Soviet-Style OPFOR known as the Krasnovians (NTC at Irwin).

An AF definition from this book: AGGRESSOR FORCE, 1946-1978 A Working Bibliography

A fictitious enemy, the Agressor Force or Maneuver Enemy was a        training concept created in Nov 1946.  Its doctrine, uniform, and        equipment came from Ft Riley, KS, at first within the Army General        School and then, after 1955, the US Army Aggressor Center.  The Force        was discontinued in 1978.

source: http://www.alternatewars.com/WW3/Trigons/Trigons.htm

Hope this help.

• 4 months later...
Squad leader

I've got this one at Dead Man's Corner:

Front seam fixed bail, Firestone liner.

Can be a US Navy lieutnant or a French (1st) lieutnant grade.

Dan.

Not really. It is a discussion about US produced and used militaria in use with other armies, specifically M1 helmets, which I think is well within the rules.

Oh, OK, so as long as it is produced in the US (whether used by the US Military or not) it is open for discussion?

Doesnt really seem to be US Militaria to me if it is not being used by US troops.

That is just my opinion.

And whether you would like to know if you have a Korean-used helmet from the 1950s or a US Navy helmet is not really relevant.

I am sure you could research Korean helmets on other forums that DO allow discussions about foreign militaria.

Anyway, glad we got these two threads together finally.

Maybe it is a US Navy used helmet after all.

Oh, OK, so as long as it is produced in the US (whether used by the US Military or not) it is open for discussion?

Doesnt really seem to be US Militaria to me if it is not being used by US troops.

That is just my opinion.

And whether you would like to know if you have a Korean-used helmet from the 1950s or a US Navy helmet is not really relevant.

I am sure you could research Korean helmets on other forums that DO allow discussions about foreign militaria.

Anyway, glad we got these two threads together finally.

Maybe it is a US Navy used helmet after all.

NON-US MILITARIA

RULE 7.0 - Acceptable Non-US Items

U.S. Militaria Forum is predominantly for U.S. militaria. However, we recognize that there are exceptions to the rule. The following is a brief list of non-US items that are acceptable to post (this does not include all possibilities):

Non-US made items that are meant to simulate U.S. made items.

US-made items that are used by foreign countries.

Non-US items used by US servicemen (e.g. Flying tiger memorabilia, Royal Air Force flight wings, etc.)

Items belonging to non-US servicemen serving with U.S. formations (e.g. Brazilian 5th Army items)

USMF will remove or edit posts not in accordance with this rule.

Here is another one. I didn't include Navy Commander because I didn't think these applied. But this photo has me rethinking that.

Could any of these actually be Navy helmets? Would the Commander rate on a helmet automatically include the star? This guy is a medical officer so the red cross supplants the star.

attachicon.gif80G-372931s.jpg

Navy Commander wearing a red cross on the helmet more than likely Medical officer and wouldnt have a (line)star as hes part of the Medical Corps of the navy.As on the uniform you see them wear the Medical Corps leaf and acorn above the cuff stripes and on the rank boards not a star for Line officer

• 1 year later...

So I'm starting to lean towards the conclusion that most of these are Navy, not Korean (or French). Which makes sense, but I just hadn't seen enough photos.

Here's a good photo of Captain Leland P Lovette, skipper of the USS GUAM in 1945.

Four stripes.

post-14792-0-84765700-1476814251.jpg

and a photo from earlier of a Navy medical officer.

post-14792-0-26604500-1476814552.jpg

• 7 months later...
stealthytyler

This helmet came out of a WWII navy estate grouping from a man that served as a pharmacist mate. At first, I thought it was a commanders helmet and was not sure why the man had this with all his navy gear. After reading this thread, I am very confused now. It is a front seam, swivel bail Schlueter made helmet. I just looked closely at the liner and cannot find a makers mark. Any thoughts???

post-131595-0-97508800-1497142559_thumb.jpg

post-131595-0-71758000-1497142561_thumb.jpg