FAKE!, Fantasy & Reproduction Wing Examples

pconrad02

Some members of this board may be familiar with a growing number of fake World War I wings being offer on eBay by a dealer located in Mississippi - He is being coy to post that they are pre-owned with light surface wear, he has no idea of value and they might be fantasy pieces. Never the less, he has recently managed to sell a few for as much as $700.00.

Check this one out:

post-4542-0-46988700-1426908983.jpg

• 1 month later...
rustywings

This ebay listed wing (#281684633584) deserves "Hat-Trick" acknowledgement for deception. To lure an unsuspecting buyer, the unknown maker adorned this badge with a fake Josten hallmark; a fake 22 kt precious metal mark; and a dated fantasy inscription! (The inscription style and font looks very similar to other fake pieces illustrated earlier in this thread).

$_57YO9P395S.jpg

$_57Y1B18SAM.jpg

$_57QJ3ECXCZ.jpg

$_57019JU8F5.jpg

It is good to see this one again. A couple of other examples.

At one point, I thought about trying to buy a few, just to have them for laughs sake. I especially like that each wing is given a descriptive title and a date:

"Thunder jugs", "Star Gazer", "Top Shot", "Sub Killer", Liberator Herder", "Kong Killer", "Hun Hunter" it goes on and on. At one point I think that there were about a dozen on ebay every week.

post-1519-0-60756500-1431016690.jpg

post-1519-0-16101400-1431016752.jpg

post-1519-0-46398200-1431016759.jpg

post-1519-0-16294600-1431016795.jpg

• 1 month later...

Could the one on ebay be your big chance? It's being offered by 'desertfoxcrushers' or you can order one direct from Fox Military and eliminate the middle man. :wacko:

I've been looking for a good one of these for years.

post-4542-0-46033000-1434920400.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a current ebay listing which should send up red flags. This cast USN Aviator badge (#161766826738), which has already received some bidding activity, has a very distinctive "C-1" hallmark on the back which has been around since the 1980's.

When you see the "C-1", just remember "COPY."

(Sorry about the poor images, but that's what was posted with the listing.)

$_571 (2).jpg

$_571 (3).jpg

• 2 months later...

I see ebay seller "Paraphernaliaworld" has re-emerged after a lengthy absence from listing reproduction wings with fantasy hallmarks and questionable inscriptions for big bucks. (See ebay listings #262098377485 for $249.95 and #262098271246 for $449.95.)

Step into my web, said the spider to the fly...

Paraphernalia-world #1.jpg

Paraphernalia-world #2.jpg

Paraphernalia-world #3.jpg

Paraphernalia-world #4.jpg

Paraphernalia-world #5.jpg

Paraphernalia-world #6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the description from an auction house this is being sold at:

U.S. WWI Aeronaut Wings. Designated badge for balloon observers. Theater-made in silver consisting of two wings separated by a balloon/observation basket with relief gilt letters "US". Dark blue wool backing. (In "AVIATION BADGES AND INSIGNIA of the UNITED STATES ARMY 1913-1946". The author, J. Duncan Campbell stated "a few of the aeronauts wore a popular style made of three pieces of silver mounted on wool background"). Scarce.

I have been through the pinned thread before, and honestly there is so much info it is hard to remember.

If it looks like it was made by a semi-skilled teenager last year in his metal shop class using tin snips and a couple of files, a dremel machine, and a set of scribing punchs...and it looks like it probably got C- grade, then it probably isn't a vintage WWI military aeronaut wing. Also, if by "theater-made" you mean the workshop/garage of some dude with some time and a sheet of metal on his hands (and larceny in his heart) then that is probably more accurate.

Sometimes I wonder what these auction houses are thinking.

Sometimes I wonder what these auction houses are thinking.

All they are thinking is $$$$$!!!!!!! I have contacted a few about bad stuff they were pedaling and the response is that they can not check everything they sell and it is buyer beware. Unfortunately It is still the old "every man/woman for themselves". Money is the root of all evil, or at least in the top 5 or so.

The fakes bringing good money probably inspired this, obviously new, faker to try his hand at simple attempt at an early wing, The vicious cycle continues. :(

rathbonemuseum.com

Horrible. Not even the better versions of this fake. Looks like it was made in high school metal shop.

Common ploy to post lots of historical information and references, that are factually correct, to divert from the the obvious lie, the actual object. Common sales technique to get the prospect head nodding about anything.

• 4 months later...

I can certainly relate to and appreciate an abundance of caution when considering a WWI era Pilot badge purchase. But my two-cents leans towards not having any concerns about that 2.5 inch badge outside of the scratched-out inscription damage on the back of the shield. I have one which was likely made by the same manufacturer. Its not identical, because each badge was individually hand-chased... and some examples display greater jeweler skills than others. But I think it's a WWI period piece. (The top two images are mine for comparison. The bottom two images are from the original ebay listing.)

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16007.jpg

I can certainly relate to and appreciate an abundance of caution when considering a WWI era Pilot badge purchase. But my two-cents leans towards not having any concerns about that 2.5 inch badge outside of the scratched-out inscription damage on the back of the shield. I have one which was likely made by the same manufacturer. Its not identical, because each badge was individually hand-chased... and some examples display greater jeweler skills than others. But I think it's a WWI period piece. (The top two images are mine for comparison. The bottom two images are from the original ebay listing.)

Ditto! Russ is right on the money!