FAKE!, Fantasy & Reproduction Wing Examples

pconrad02

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a "Dallas-type" wing I like to call the "Cadillac" of fake wings.

Caddilac.jpg.86791f5cb4ce443b2e5b57638301ea49.jpg

Although the details of the feathers are all wrong, the individual pieces are nonetheless crisply die struck and the US is separately applied in 10k gold.  Some nefarious "such and such" went to the trouble of having dies made for this badge and was willing to use real gold to further their grift.  

From 6 feet away, this badge is indistinguishable from a real wing.  Caveat emptor.

• 2 months later...

Well, these fantisy LeBreve wings are still going strong.

eBay item number: 133850041741

WW1 Junior & Reserve Military Aeronaut (Balloon Pilot) Wings Sterling Silver 835

So far 17 bids and up to $229.50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133850041741?hash=item1f2a158d8d:g:3ekAAOSwjmZhGee0&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5338803324&customid=133850041741&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

LeBreve 1.jpg

LeBreve 2.jpg

LeBreve 3.jpg

LeBreve 4.jpg

LeBreve 5.jpg

LeBreve 6.jpg

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen any of these posted here.  It might be a JoeW special, but since the photos on his site are so crappy you can't really tell.  It measures ~1-7/8" wide, has a 180-degree opening pin and a small sterling mark in the center of the back.  I don't know which maker's wing this is a copy of.

bad NFN front.JPG

bad NFN rear-2.JPG

bad NFN left wing.JPG

• 3 months later...

I  don't  post   too  much     but   reading   this  post   prompted  me  to   share  a   good  balloon  pilot   badge.  Here   is  a  Capurro  hallmarked   2  inch   balloon  pilot.   I  remember   when  I  got  it   over   30  years  ago.   I  used  to  advertise   for  wings  in  a  local  antique  paper   and  this  beauty   showed  up.   I  shared  it   with  Duncan    and  it   was  the only  one  he  had   ever   seen

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

1 hour ago, truckbob said:

I  don't  post   too  much     but   reading   this  post   prompted  me  to   share  a   good  balloon  pilot   badge.  Here   is  a  Capurro  hallmarked   2  inch   balloon  pilot.   I  remember   when  I  got  it   over   30  years  ago.   I  used  to  advertise   for  wings  in  a  local  antique  paper   and  this  beauty   showed  up.   I  shared  it   with  Duncan    and  it   was  the only  one  he  had   ever   seen

Nice, you should give it its own post.

11 hours ago, bschwartz said:

It's a dead ringer for the badge from Cliff's collection on my site - Link to Cliff's wing  Cliff identified it as a Dunham wing.  Wonder if this may add some new information...

Dunham and Capurro were cross-town competitors, but there is mounting evidence the two men also shared business trade relationships.  Capurro's shop was in the tony Laurel Heights neighborhood near the entrance to Camp John Wise on Main Avenue.  Dunham's factory and sales operation was three miles away, downtown on Navarro St. near the Buckhorn Saloon and other downtown watering holes.  It is likely that Dunham manufactured the badge, and sold it wholesale to Capurro -- who then sold it retail to men from Camp John Wise.

I sent an email to Cliff last night giving him a heads up about this thread.  He gave me almost exactly the same information you posted Chris, that Capurro sold badges that were manufactured by Dunham.  Thanks for a second source on that.

Thanks  guys  for  the  additional  information.   Anyone  know  is  the  badge   Cliff  has   also    less  than   full  size  as  is   mine.   

1 hour ago, truckbob said:

Thanks  guys  for  the  additional  information.   Anyone  know  is  the  badge   Cliff  has   also    less  than   full  size  as  is   mine.   

Yes, your badge and Cliff's are identical except for the hallmark.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, cwnorma said:

Dunham's factory and sales operation was three miles away, downtown on Navarro St. near the Buckhorn Saloon and other downtown watering holes.  

Albert Freidrich, proprietor of San Antonio's Buckhorn Saloon and community booster made a special effort to welcome local Air Service men serving at Kelly Field, Brooks Field, and Camp John Wise:

1575776496_ScreenShot2022-02-05at10_14_26AM.png.f63da3e23570e86531f3a8225bcc2bce.png

The above postcard, shows a sign, made entirely from rattlesnake rattles that hung prominently in the bar.

• 5 months later...

More for any new guys. Not that the majority of you are not already aware, but wanted to show off some absolute gems that I just noticed. I think the service pilot ones are the best out of the bunch, but that does not amount to saying much.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.33.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.39.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.39.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.40.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.40.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.41.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.42.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 8.42.23 PM.png

That ebay seller and his wide assortment of cast-crap aerial badge reproductions will certainly lure more than a few unsuspecting bidders!  

Please step into the web, said the spider to the fly! 

rathbonemuseum.com

For educational purposes. Please review the text of the description and note that it is careful to keep the door open that these "might" be reproductions but "could" be real.

They are absolutely reproduction. All of them. I encourage you to go through all the listings and learn. Please do not buy and then post here "are they good?" because they are not. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 8.25.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 8.25.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 8.24.37 AM.png

I've recently noticed several eBay dealers--the type willing to handle questionable goods--have been pushing reproduction early aviation material.  

This usually means that a "collection" was recently broken up.

I expect to see more until this recent round of gimcrackery finds its way into the hands of the "usual suspects."

Chris

5thwingmarty

I find it incredibly hard to believe a "collector" could unintentionally gather so many obviously bad wings.  Are there any good wings being offered by this seller?  How many of this sellers 25 "original" WWII vintage US wings are legitimate?  How many of their 6 WWI US wings are?  But they know they have 15 reproduction WWI US wings for sale as well.

Many (most or all?) of us have picked up a wing we thought was good, but upon closer inspection or with shared knowledge from other more experienced collectors found was not a legitimate vintage wing. Did someone pick up a "collection" from JoeW's Arizona distributer?