Examples of Fake Fantasy & Reproduction Wings

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this! Someone tried to get creative with the hallmark... not sure why they would reproduce that variation as it is harder to do. I think whomever is making the fake Amcraft has done a better job with the FS wing and then there is the Chinese snowflake pilots wing that is good.

John

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This flight of fancy flew out of Indiana yesterday for about $205. Looks like a marriage of a 9M Meyer Aircrew and an old EAL button of some kind. Actually, I'm kind of amused over the steady illustrations of P.T. Barnum's axiom, although like most of us, I weep for the constant loss of innocence such stuff represents.

post-3515-1299602502.jpg

This flight of fancy flew out of Indiana yesterday for about $205. Looks like a marriage of a 9M Meyer Aircrew and an old EAL button of some kind. Actually, I'm kind of amused over the steady illustrations of P.T. Barnum's axiom, although like most of us, I weep for the constant loss of innocence such stuff represents.

:rolleyes:

Nicely said Paul. That calls for three cheers and a well deserved toast to a very wise and conscientious friend.

cp :wink2:

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2019.gif

• 1 month later...
Since I know that some of you wing guys never leave this section...

Hey now I resemble that remark ;) It's not my fault... they wife only lets me colect small things. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another bad Flight Surgeon Wing, currently listed on ebay.

Front looks great, second pattern Meyer, nice patina.

Back of wing is a different story....Ouch!

Best, John

post-12439-1305416247.jpg

...and on the eighth day, God created the radial engine...

Here is another bad Flight Surgeon Wing, currently listed on ebay.

Front looks great, second pattern Meyer, nice patina.

Back of wing is a different story....Ouch!

Best, John

$280.57! I hope they post it here withingthe 7 day window!

BTW the back looks like it was filed down maybe to remove the Meyer mark so it would be made into an Amcraft.

• 8 months later...

Another pretender on the scene:

Has anyone ever seen a legitimate silver wing badge made overseas for an American World War 1 pilot? Yes, it was common practice for WW1 pilots in the continental United States to wear US made silver wings but it was against all regulations to wear them while in Europe.

This balloon pilot badge has USA style Eisenstadt type wings but sports an array of design characters commonly associated with other fake badges made across the pond. Check out the free balloon gas bag that is identical to that of a WW1 Austrian Air Service collar insignia; a non-US jeweler hallmark; the 900. silver content marking, and a unique foreign type locking device.

The vendor said he would bet that these are pretty rare. Is it any wonder why?

post-4542-1327092924.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2019.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

WW1 Bombing Military Aviator (BMA) wing badge.

Collectors should be on the alert to watch out for this recent fake that is now making the rounds.

post-4542-1338649914.jpg

donation2019.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately Duncan Campbell is no longer with us to defend himself; however, Craig Martin with Butterfields is and it was after a telephone call by me to Duncan that he contacted the auction house to inform them of the oversight. :dry:

The Smithsonian never had the badges made.

Having been on the staff at the National Air and Space Museum and specicically responsible for fundraising for a number of years, I can tell you we never reproduced wings or any other objects of this type. Even the trinkets sold in the shops stand out as inexpensive reproductions. Keep in mind that the Air and Space Museum has over 6 million visitors annually, if it were an item being sold in the shops, it was produced in great volume. The same applied for fundraising. Another urban legend that probably sounded good, but not grounded in reality.

ASMIC Member #3410

OMSA Member #6464

Buying insignia, medals, patches and other related materials associated with the Philippine Constabulary; Philippine Scouts; Philippine Army; Philippine Aviation pre-1942 as well as the Philippine Department and Philippine Division.

Seeking a photo or drawing of Philippine Constabulary Flags pre-1935.