FAKE!, Fantasy & Reproduction Wing Examples

pconrad02

I concur with Russ,

It used to be easier to use ebay and weed out the con artists. Now, it is much harder, but with careful work and good documentation, it is still possible.

One really important thing to do is to keep careful documentation of all interactions with the seller. If I have ANY concerns about an item, I always ask for their return policy. Because this is always via email, it is already in writing--and I keep it filed on my computer if I win the auction. It makes returning something so much easier if I have been conned. once, I bought a wing from a guy because I thought it may have been a rare theater-made variation (or it could have been a bad casting of a wing). I was very polite and said something like "because it is hard to know from just scans or pictures, do you offer a return policy that I can return the wing if I think it is a casting or if I don't like it for any reason? If I do return it, I will be happy to pay any ebay or shipping fees, of course. Or do you have some sort of restrictions on returns?" Since they said I could return it with out any restrictions, I bid accordingly. When I got it, I was convinced it was a fake. When I tried to return it then started to hem and haw and didn't want to take it back, so I simply resent them their original email that said I could return it for any reason. It makes it a lot easier when they have said in their own words that they will take it back for any reason! They weren't happy, but they took it back.

If they don't agree to a written return policy, I simply won't be as aggressive in my bidding unless I am prepared to lose the money. The beauty of ebay is that something is ALWAYS being offered. Just be patient.

It seems to me that this guy got lucky on some auctions early on and decided to cash in with a bunch of other crud.

p

John Cooper

One can only hope that we can help folks out with our forum... I think it is a SAD COMMENTARY as well but not on the collector community but people in general.... is not GREED one of the seven deadly sins?

Russ thanks for posting these it was on my list of to do's! - I will attempt to move this thread to the FAKES pinned thread so as to keep this at the top.

As far as fakes go these are of low quality except for the wing in post #12 which I guess falls into the hybrid fake catagory i.e. using an older wing and altering it to make it somehting else. I think the construction style of these wings will look familiar to some folks here...

Cheers

John

John Cooper
Here's five wings currently listed on ebay by the same seller. Opinions?

Ebay #160449835332.

I forgot to add... if buyer gets it for $99 then it is a good deal compared to the catalog price for this wing from the maker which is $300... as long as he knows it is a reproduction.

John

rustywings
what about these...currently listed

Brig, it sure looks like the balloon pilot wing is made up of some of the same components seen in the pilot wing examples currently listed on ebay. Just more junk in my opinion.

Russ

John Cooper

More WASP wing fun - part of this photo will look familar. I am not expert but the shield design looks like it was made by the same hand... The wing pattern is likely familar with some of you and was produced in WW2. The addition of the shield looks to be recent if you look at the reverse shot. (next post)

I am no expert so I am looking for opinions :)

BTW I see a W1, W4, W5 - why no W3 yet?!?!

post-227-1278565251.jpg

John,

The top one is good, I talked to the seller, and this wing was looked at by an expert. The last picture ( reverse) looks like one of Joe W's, aged

I agree, the last WASP wing look's bad.

I actually just spotted it on ebay and was going to post it and saw you guys beat me too it.

Up to 10 bids, looks like folks are fighting over it days in advance, never got that mentality.

Best,

John

I thought this was interesting. A series of videos on youtube on how to sand cast items.

And the method of centrifugal casting:

and

and part 3

• 2 weeks later...
John Cooper

MORE EBAY FUN!

Please take a look at this (fill in the blank)! Now take a look at the sellers feedback and take note of the buyers I am sure some of you will find this interesting or at the very least ironic. Additionally look at all the other wings for sale... feel free to upload and post them.

Ebay Seller pacificstandard09 from Orange Ca.

Ebay item link

post-227-1280257089.jpg post-227-1280257078.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I have a pair of Meyers Liaison Pilot wings I bought about 15 years ago. They are the reproductions. Below is a photo showing the back hallmarks. It is my understanding that the repops were marked with "Sterling" and the NSMeyer shield but original Meyer wings also had the stamping "NSMeyer" on them, for a total of three hallmarks.

Sound right?

Tom

So these are restikes? What exactly does restrike mean?

More WASP wing fun - part of this photo will look familar. I am not expert but the shield design looks like it was made by the same hand... The wing pattern is likely familar with some of you and was produced in WW2. The addition of the shield looks to be recent if you look at the reverse shot. (next post)

I am no expert so I am looking for opinions :)

BTW I see a W1, W4, W5 - why no W3 yet?!?!

post-227-1278565251.jpg

Another pair ebay# 300457401366

Look bad to me, others know more...

Opinions?

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted add yet another WASP wing to the mix. I have to say I am getting tired of all the WASP Class wings since I posted about it sometime ago and got some flak from one seller who mis-unterstood me. (I hope he does not have bad feelings over it)

Anyway here are some more photos from a current auction.

post-227-1285353722.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this! Someone tried to get creative with the hallmark... not sure why they would reproduce that variation as it is harder to do. I think whomever is making the fake Amcraft has done a better job with the FS wing and then there is the Chinese snowflake pilots wing that is good.

John

• 1 month later...

:unsure:

Question: Which one of these three Dan Dunham designed WW1 wing badges is the phony or do you think all three are okay?

One clue: 220733947770

post-4542-1296687591.jpg

• 1 month later...

This flight of fancy flew out of Indiana yesterday for about $205. Looks like a marriage of a 9M Meyer Aircrew and an old EAL button of some kind. Actually, I'm kind of amused over the steady illustrations of P.T. Barnum's axiom, although like most of us, I weep for the constant loss of innocence such stuff represents.

post-3515-1299602502.jpg