Books about (Mechanized) Cavalry during WWII

Richard

Recently I bought Steeds of Steel by Harry Yeide, but does anybody know more books concerning (Mechanized) Cavalry during WWII?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

I want to purchase "Through Mobility We Conquer" by George F. Hofmann. Anyone familiar with this book and what is your opinion?

• 5 months later...
I want to purchase "Through Mobility We Conquer" by George F. Hofmann. Anyone familiar with this book and what is your opinion?

I have it, and would not recommend it. Most of it focuses on pre-WW II, and discusses the personalities involved in the development of the cavalry, rather than unit organization, equipment, doctrine, etc. For example, the book does not address at all how the Army, which had traditionally consisted of regiments with three battalions or squadrons, ended up with cavalry groups consisting of two squadrons. There was also nothing re how cavalry groups organized for combat, i.e., did they typically pick up attachments and, if so, what types of units?

I would recommend: "U.S. Armor Cavalry - A short history 1917 - 1967" by Duncan Crow. Some great pictures and colored insignia included. It's from 1973 and I don't know if it is still available.

Lars

El Bibliotecario

THE MAN 0N THE RED HORSE

Wm Egan

Metro Printing Co, Portland, OR,1975, 227 pages, illus w/B&W photos

I don't necesarily recommend this book, but offer it as a resource. It's a unit history of the 113th Mech Cav Group which begins with their antecedents as an IANG unit; the first 50 or so pages deal with thier 1916 border service. The author is a veteran of this unit, and I gather the book was aimed at his contemporaties rather than being an objective history; there's a lot of folksy stuff about how on 16 Sep 44 Pvt Gump shot a German in the butt. Perhaps this is the the charm of the work, along with the B&W photos. The latter includes an 18" pullout panoramic photo of the unit at Camp Bowie TX, with everyone wearing soup plate helmets; apparently taken shortly after federalization for WW2. The photo includes mounted troops, scout cars, motorcycles, and portee trucks.

• 7 months later...
I have it, and would not recommend it. Most of it focuses on pre-WW II, and discusses the personalities involved in the development of the cavalry, rather than unit organization, equipment, doctrine, etc. For example, the book does not address at all how the Army, which had traditionally consisted of regiments with three battalions or squadrons, ended up with cavalry groups consisting of two squadrons. There was also nothing re how cavalry groups organized for combat, i.e., did they typically pick up attachments and, if so, what types of units?

I lost track of this topic and just see your comment now. I purchased the book some time ago now and your totally right about it. If you want to read/know more about equipment, doctrine etc Steeds of Steel by Harry Yeide is of better value.

I would recommend: "U.S. Armor Cavalry - A short history 1917 - 1967" by Duncan Crow. Some great pictures and colored insignia included. It's from 1973 and I don't know if it is still available.

Lars

I know it, but personnaly I think it's a little bit out of date and not very profound.

• 2 years later...