Korean War USMC PH

TLeo

Ok Lets wait and see what Geoff is able to come with.Maybe he'll get lucky to.

Mark

sounds like you have had good fortune. Hopefully Geoff will have the same!

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating this post to include info contained in the file I just recieved (82 pages worth) Reading this file has been very moving in that their are many letters from his mother (who was very ill from cancer and passed away two years later) and father trying to get information. Sadly, she went to her grave never knowing what had happened to her son. It also turns out that a second son was in the same unit and wounded and evacuated in November. It appears that this young Marine most likely rests where he fell that night.....a lonely, snowy hill at Yudam-ni where his company and 2nd plt were dug in and awaiting word to begin to withdraw. Before they did, the Chinese attacked and over ran their positions. I copied the pertinent portion of report below.....

"Second Plt., Company F 5th Marines organized a hasty defense on a hill near Yudam-Ni at approx. 2pm 1 december, 1950. 1st squad was on the left flank, second squad (his squad) in the center, and 3rd squad on right flank. Staff Sgt Griffin who was present reported that they were told to be prepared to withdraw momentarily. Shortly after midnight they were warned of enemy troops below the hill and all men ordered on the line. At about 12:20 am the enemy assaulted simultaneously from left front and left rear. The enemy assault overran 1st squad and moved down 2nd squads position from left to right overrunning their positions also.

Attempts to regain contact with 2nd squad failed as 3rd squad displaced from it's original position to a covering position. Immediately after, the enemy began a double envelopment of 3rd squad's new position and that squad was ordered to withdraw. Three attempts were made by Fox Company to retake the hill unsuccesfully.

Two survivors of 2nd squad who joined the 3rd squad and withdrew with it stated that to the best of their knowledge, the remainder of 2nd squad had been annihilated."

What has been interesting to uncover on this one from a research perspective, is NARA seems to treat the actual date of death versus the declared date of date differently for Marines than the other services....at least the Army and Air Force.

In looking again at the past research I have done, I was able to get files for one Marine with a declared date of date that would be too late to meet the 62 year rule, but none of the Army and Air Force men. I have asked Mark to see if he can get an Army file with a 1950 date of death and 1953 declared date of death that was kicked back when I have requested it (multiple times). It will be interesting to see if he gets it, because if he does, that means there has been some sort of behind the scenes rule change that will benefit us all.

One question I have for everyone, is if anyone has any experience with requesting and receiving Navy files with declared dates of death that don't meet the 62 year rule?

What has been interesting to uncover on this one from a research perspective, is NARA seems to treat the actual date of death versus the declared date of date differently for Marines than the other services....at least the Army and Air Force.

In looking again at the past research I have done, I was able to get files for one Marine with a declared date of date that would be too late to meet the 62 year rule, but none of the Army and Air Force men. I have asked Mark to see if he can get an Army file with a 1950 date of death and 1953 declared date of death that was kicked back when I have requested it (multiple times). It will be interesting to see if he gets it, because if he does, that means there has been some sort of behind the scenes rule change that will benefit us all.

One question I have for everyone, is if anyone has any experience with requesting and receiving Navy files with declared dates of death that don't meet the 62 year rule?

Good luck with your attempt. I hope he is successful for you. I have no experience with any other branches so can't speak to what they may or may not do. I have heard in the past that results sometimes depend on who the clerk is that is handling the request but not sure if that holds true.

• 6 months later...

Do you happen to have a link for the casualty card request? I've been surfing through the HQMC website and can't find anything. I'd sure appreciate the help! Thanks in advance....

Hello,

Beautiful medal. Have you requested his casualty card from HQMC. It probably won't contain much new information, but you never know. Besides its free.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz