TrenchRat's collection - Revisited

TrenchRat

Here is a reconstruction of an infantryman, 6th US Infantry, Mexico, 1917.

This figure carries the shelter-half, blanket roll, 1907 belt and suspenders and 1904 first aid pouch. He also carries a Krag bayonet.

Again, the coat is the 1911 pattern, tho a later one, dated 1917. The campaign hat is also the later type.

post-92682-0-36937800-1409146873.jpg

I love it. My Grand Dad was on the Mexican border with the 8th Cav when the 7th went into Mexico. He said they made two lines facing inward and the 7th went between on a run. He said it was a sight to see. Great display, The 1909 belt that was modified is great touch, and an official belt. The army sent out intructions for the units to remove one or both sets of revolver pouches and replace iwht the 1912 pouch and changed the belt designation to Model 1909(M). Very tough belt to find.

Bob

I love it. My Grand Dad was on the Mexican border with the 8th Cav when the 7th went into Mexico. He said they made two lines facing inward and the 7th went between on a run. He said it was a sight to see. Great display, The 1909 belt that was modified is great touch, and an official belt. The army sent out intructions for the units to remove one or both sets of revolver pouches and replace iwht the 1912 pouch and changed the belt designation to Model 1909(M). Very tough belt to find.

Bob

Bob, awesome story; love hearing that sort of account. Thanks for that. Always had a soft spot for the 7th cavalry. I also have a promotion certificate for a member of F troop, 7th Cavalry, from private to corporal. It can be seen (albeit slightly) above the 12th Cavalry figure in the first posted photo.

You are quite right about the belt and I am glad you brought that up as I neglected to point that out. I get so used to having these things that I sometimes forget the particulars. I would absolutely love to have an unmodified mounted belt some day; the 1909 (and) or the 1910. I was dying to get a pair of those removed revolver pouches that were on ebay some time ago!

Glenn

Here is the beginning of my First World War reconstructions, by far the largest group I have.

These are two early war figures...

post-92682-0-85285800-1409148605.jpg

This is a reconstruction of a Color Sergeant, 18th Infantry, 1st Division, 1917.

This figure wears a complete set of 1910 gear, including first pattern haversack with mess kit pouch, shovel cover and early shovel, early 1905 bayonet and leather scabbard, early cartridge belt, canteen carrier and first aid pouch.

The SBR carrier is the early American type with British-style fittings.

The 1912 coat is original, i.e., not a put together, tho unnamed. Sadly the helmet was repainted at some point.

post-92682-0-26987300-1409149092.jpg

This incomplete reconstruction will be representing a soldier from the 26th Division (I am on the outlook for a BOS collar disk specific to those regiments (with matching patina)).

The figure has an early second pattern 1910 haversack (dtd. 1915) in olive drab, with matching mess tin pouch. The cartridge belt (1912) and first aid pouch are also in matching olive drab.

He also carries the typical SBR carrier.

The coat is an April 1917 dated 1912 pattern, with typical 1917 steel helmet.

post-92682-0-31108500-1409151528.jpg

Here is a pair of infantry reconstructions, 1917; and Officer and a member of a Machine Gun unit.

post-92682-0-30377600-1409152983.jpg

Bob, awesome story; love hearing that sort of account. Thanks for that. Always had a soft spot for the 7th cavalry. I also have a promotion certificate for a member of F troop, 7th Cavalry, from private to corporal. It can be seen (albeit slightly) above the 12th Cavalry figure in the first posted photo.

You are quite right about the belt and I am glad you brought that up as I neglected to point that out. I get so used to having these things that I sometimes forget the particulars. I would absolutely love to have an unmodified mounted belt some day; the 1909 (and) or the 1910. I was dying to get a pair of those removed revolver pouches that were on ebay some time ago!

Glenn

Glenn

I too would love the unmodified 1909. I have the other three and the last is just way to pricey. I lucked out and found the modified cav belt on E-bay bad photo and bod desriction equals only $300.00. Many folks go nuts over modifications of modern gear but this tiem period from when the 03 Springfiled came into service to WWI have a bunch of gear changes.

Great Stuff. I wish I lived closer so I could get a good look at it all. Maybee you could just adopt me and let me have my inhertiacne now:)

Bob

Infantry Officer reconstruction, 1917-18.

This figure is equipped with the Sam Browne belt (apparently these were seen worn on the battlefields), whistle, pistol belt with mag pouch and 1916 holster.

He also carries a typical SBR carrier and a 1918 dated British-made map case.

The coat is a typical tailor made example. The helmet has a nice camo pattern.

post-92682-0-22733700-1409153580.jpg

Here is a reconstruction of a member of a Machine Gun unit (only reason this figure represents a MG unit is that I believe this the best use of a bolo knife).

He is equipped with the second pattern haversack, late 1910 cartridge belt, canteen and carrier, first aide pouch and 1917a1 Bolo knife.

There is a 1918-dated bandolier here as well

Again the typical SBR carrier is worn here.

The coat is the typical 1917 pattern as is the helmet, and like the officer, also camo'd with black "blotches".

post-92682-0-19585400-1409155579.jpg

Glenn

I too would love the unmodified 1909. I have the other three and the last is just way to pricey. I lucked out and found the modified cav belt on E-bay bad photo and bod desriction equals only $300.00. Many folks go nuts over modifications of modern gear but this tiem period from when the 03 Springfiled came into service to WWI have a bunch of gear changes.

Great Stuff. I wish I lived closer so I could get a good look at it all. Maybee you could just adopt me and let me have my inhertiacne now:)

Bob

Bob,

Inheritance LoL! You'll have to go thru my kids first...they are already counting the dollars! No interest in my collection, but they see $$ signs. At least you would appreciate it!

Anyway, if you are ever in NY, let me know. No one here to talk shop with...

Glenn

GlennSounds good. My kids same story but my son wants all the "pointy things." Seeing such a quality WWI display makes me want to concentrate on that era again but my wife would just not go for the cost. It is not like it was 25 or so years ago when WWI stuff was a bit more affordable. If I ever get in your area I would love to chat.

Bob

Bob,

Yes, I hear that. I first collected as a teen in the 80's. WWI coats were $25-$30 at my local Army Navy store !

It is a shame that everything has gone up so dramatically over the years. But at least the availability has increased as well...

Yes, when in NY let me know! Can't imagine what it would be like to talk with another collector...it's been a looong time...

Glenn