TrenchRat's collection - Revisited

TrenchRat

Thanks, Doc...!

My next reconstruction also features the 1907 set, but it also includes the swivel shovel cover. It has the earlier 1904 haversack with a RIA date of 1909. This 'sack has a tan body with an OD edging. The swivel shovel cover is also RIA 1909 with the same tan body with OD edging. Having a hard time getting my hands on an early OD First Aide pouch...!

TR

I agree, I have several things that are even dated 1910 (including two M1907 pouches) but they are still khaki! I'm slowly putting the Pre-1910 rig together; I'm mostly in need of a uniform to get things started. There are several neat accessories that don't do you much good without having somethign to put them on.

Looking forward to more!

I'm beyond impressed! I now see that my own war room needs to be updated. You have challenged me!

Thanks Bugme,

I certainly appreciate that...!

TR

Here is a reconstruction of an Infantryman, circa 1909.

The overcoat is a true '09 with buttons under the collar for the hood. The hat is the first pattern 1907 winter hat. This here hat is one of the early ones with the blue lining.

He is equipped again with the 1907 belt and suspenders, 1878 canteen with 1903 hanger, the model 1905 bayonet with leather scabbard (RIA 1909).

The haversack and shovel cover are both dated RIA 1909.

Also he is an early bandolier, marked 1907 for the Krag rifle, tho they were also used with the '03 Springfield.

post-92682-0-49140900-1409061127.jpg

Very impressive display. I admire the hard work and creativity you have undoubtedly put into it to assemble such a fine collection.

Dennis

Very impressive display. I admire the hard work and creativity you have undoubtedly put into it to assemble such a fine collection.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!

I try my best to have a "museum" of my own, in my own home...

Glenn

Here is a reconstruction of a sergeant, circa 1912, 12th US Cavalry.

He is equipped with the 1903 gear, including the mounted cartridge belt and suspenders, 1904 first aid pouch and interestingly, a 1903 mounted belt modified to a bandolier.

The is also the leather saber hangers with swivel clips. The 1906 cavalry saber is a temporary reproduction.

The leather holster (with the flap nipped off) is dated RIA 1904.

The coat is the typical cotton 1911 pattern. The hat is an early 1911 with the shoe string ties.

post-92682-0-38381700-1409063223.jpg

Here are a couple of detail shots. If you look close enough you can see how the 1903 belt was modified into a bandolier.

Also, the saber hanger chape was removed from that belt.

Tho the saber is a reproduction, the saber knot is not...

post-92682-0-00651300-1409064217.jpg

post-92682-0-40124800-1409064226.jpg

Here is a simple reconstruction of an officer, 1st US Artillery, circa 1916.

He is equipped with the 1904(?) garrison belt, leather .45 ammo pouch, model 1916 holster with slide, and leather officer model saber hanger with slide.

The 1911 pattern coat is, interestingly enough, an enlisted man's coat with officer braid. The braid looks to me to be period applied.

There were also pin holes in the collar, so I can only hope those were period as well.

Nice officer cord on the 1911 campaign hat.

post-92682-0-56448800-1409066147.jpg

Another excellent pair of displays! The converted M1903 belt is really neat! The leather goods are always an adventure to find, but you managed to get some nice examples of the sword hangers.

Another excellent pair of displays! The converted M1903 belt is really neat! The leather goods are always an adventure to find, but you managed to get some nice examples of the sword hangers.

Doc,

Thanks again. Yes, I was quite fortunate to come across such nice examples of the saber hangers. Got the .45 pouch from a member here. Again, quite lucky!

I'm glad you mentioned the converted 1903 belt. I should have pointed out that there would be a very, very slim chance of any cavalryman in 1912 to actually have had this bandolier in it's configuration. The modification is the addition of a narrow strap, likely from a 1910 haversack (?), but the color of this strap from whatever 1910 gear it came from dates this modification to at least 1917. I placed the bandolier with this figure with a bit of "historical license" if you will....?

TR

I agree, I have several things that are even dated 1910 (including two M1907 pouches) but they are still khaki! I'm slowly putting the Pre-1910 rig together; I'm mostly in need of a uniform to get things started. There are several neat accessories that don't do you much good without having somethign to put them on.

Looking forward to more!

Doc,

Yes, strange isn't it? I just sold a leather canteen/haversack for the 1878 type canteen or haversack with a RIA date of 1910 !

Now, to me that seems odd.

Also sold recently a model 1878 (?) blanket bag. This bag had russet shoulder straps dated RIA 1907 and the inner pouch used Carr's fasteners for closure. The snaps had the typical 1913 patent date.

It seems that a decent pre WWI coat is scarce these days. Especially those that will fit any type of mannequin. I try to get my hands on any size 38 or better coat that I can find !

TR

Great collection. I viewed the other topic with great pleasure and I will follow this one. I like your displays!

Eric,

Thank you, I appreciate that very much. Glad to have you following this...the best is yet to come...

Glenn

Here is a couple of reconstructions from my 1916-1918 group, featuring two regiments that fought against Poncho Villa in Mexico, 1916-17.

post-92682-0-25055800-1409145943.jpg

First, a reconstruction of a trooper, 7th US Cavalry.

The equipment includes the rare 1909 mounted belt, 1910 mounted canteen, 1912 .45 magazine pouch, 1912 swivel holster and leather saber hanger, all suspended by a set of 1907 suspenders. This set is one of those modified for taller men.

The coat is an early 1911 as is the campaign hat.

post-92682-0-27871200-1409146316.jpg