TrenchRat's collection - Revisited

TrenchRat

Also added this display of a US infantryman, First World War.

The figure features a perfect example of a 1918 pattern coat.

I was also fortunate to acquire a nice grenade pouch complete with strap...

post-92682-0-16284300-1426258701.jpg

Figured I'd add the latest figure to this post.

Here is an infantry captain, after serving 6 months in France.

He is equipped with a 1910 haversack (nice early 2nd pattern dtd. 1915), Colt .45 reinforced holster and magazine pouch.

This figure also carries a French made haversack (ID'd to an American) and a leather map case dtd. 1918...

post-92682-0-13006700-1426865136.jpg

post-92682-0-41796400-1426865173.jpg

Thanks, Eric.

Best thing about this one is that its made up of mostly spare pieces; the only new part is the overcoat.

I have been trying to get my hands on a decent eagle snap canvas map case but I've come up dry.

Lucky to find the leather one tho...and it is dated no less...

Glenn

Thanks, Eric.

Best thing about this one is that its made up of mostly spare pieces; the only new part is the overcoat.

I have been trying to get my hands on a decent eagle snap canvas map case but I've come up dry.

Lucky to find the leather one tho...and it is dated no less...

Glenn

Dated, eh? I was curious about that map case. It seems to be identical in pattern from what I can see. Nice setup!

hey Doc,

Yes, a nice clear '1918' date in (as opposed to 'on') the leather.

Forget what the maker mark is...I'll have to take a look later...

And thanks! I like this one a lot for some reason. Seems there is an attitude in this guy somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing you may notice thru this post is that I place a lot of importance on color-matched web gear.

Certainly, this may or may not be historically accurate, but for me, this makes my displays more cohesive and visually pleasing.

So, with this in mind, I submit another updated figure...

Here is my representation of am infantryman of the 6th US in Mexico, 1916-1917.

Originally this display featured a later first pattern 1910 haversack along with a "pea green" 10-pocket belt.

Although both of these items date to the same year, the colors of the webbing were not nearly the same.

I came to believe that there were no haversacks with pea green straps....until last week when a found a perfect match on ebay.

This pack, a second pattern type dated 1915, was won by a fair offer. Many thanks to the seller. In all my years this is the first pack I have come across in this shade.

Here is the figure with the original first pattern sack alongside the new second pattern sack.

It may not be all that noticeable, but the difference is more than negligible...

post-92682-0-76384800-1428415051.jpg

post-92682-0-32521400-1428415063.jpg

The now unused first pattern sack was transferred to another figure; a representation of an infantryman, 18th US Infantry, 1st Division, 1917, which features a somewhat rare olive drab 10-pocket belt. The colors are quite similar...

post-92682-0-47461200-1428416750.jpg

post-92682-0-78244500-1428416760.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello Aurel,

Thanks so much for your comment!

I have been expanding my collection room and a will have a few more early coats to show, as well as a few late war "economy" models...

Hopefully I will post the new collection in the near future...

Thanks again,

Glenn

Great !

I have also some early tunics and coat (found in France and Belgium) but I will post it a next time.

Best regards

Aurel

Awesome! I certainly look forward to see them...! Please post...

G