Silver Lifesaving medal

tarbridge

Robert it is gorgeous, I always love seeing these. Hopefully one day I'll be able to see one in my collection!

Thank you for showing this beauty!

Joe

I know he was born in Norway and shows birth year 18 Feb 1882 Hammer Norway. He is on the manifest of Aliens employed as members of crew of the President Madison August 9 1932...his award date is for September 29 1932.

I am still two weeks behind after by OMSA trip and have not had time to research...

Brian Dentino

An absolutely beautiful medal Robert. You do see these silver issued/engraved medals show up from time to time......anyone know how many gold medals were issued?

Robert

As always an incredible find of the scarce stuff. As a Lifesaving Medal collector I appreciate the older ones a little more than the later design....but all the same they are great. Famtastic condition for its age, no separation at the brooch, very nice. What strikes me most is that while not the latest issue of the 2d type, it is later, and for me, gives good perspective how late into the 20th century this type was awarded. My human nature is to see the older types and compartmentalize them into the 10th century awards, but this brings home the breadth of the period this type was awarded and the beautiful workmanship that has since left the craft. Look forward to more info we you have the time....thanks for this

Robert-

Really great example. The contrast of having most of the original silver wash combined with the dark engraving is great. Also the engraving is much better than normally seen on one of these "later" examples. Most of the 30's era examples I have seen have rather plain engraving. This engraver went all-out.

Clyde - There is a book, The Sea Shall Not Have Them by Evans Kerrigan that contains the rolls. It's out-of-print, but not too difficult to find.

Kurt

Where are the Silver Lifesaving medals rolls located?

Clyde,

In the National Archives in Washington there are three large volumes that document award and issue of the medals (silver and gold). They are in Record Group 26, Entry 248. Volume # 3 covers 1927 to 1944. (Prior to 1910 there are individual files for each award. These are very complete and contain documents like the original recommendation, witness statements, engraving orders, transmittal letters, receipts, etc.)

Here's a sample entry from Volume 3.

post-10651-0-53900600-1408990920.jpg

Clyde,

In the National Archives in Washington there are three large volumes that document award and issue of the medals (silver and gold). They are in Record Group 26, Entry 248. Volume # 3 covers 1927 to 1944. (Prior to 1910 there are individual files for each award. These are very complete and contain documents like the original recommendation, witness statements, engraving orders, transmittal letters, receipts, etc.)

Here's a sample entry from Volume 3.

That's pretty darn cool. I wonder why no one has made a reference from these yet...I'd love to see a comprehensive listing of recipients made...

That's pretty darn cool. I wonder why no one has made a reference from these yet...I'd love to see a comprehensive listing of recipients made...

Probably because it would take too much work and there would be too little demand. For the foreseeable future all we're likely to have is "The Sea Shall Not Have Them" that KurtA mentions above. As an FYI on this reference, the dates shown in the book are the date of the award and not the date of the event.

Stunning medal! Really thought hard about trying to find one of these at some point. Every time someone posts one I can't help but stop and stare.