How do you sell a jet helmet in 2014?

Bluespicker

Does anyone have problems with EBAY not "Finding" their items with the search engine? I noticed that things don't show up in my search when I search anonymously or have someone else do the search. Interestingly, my items show up when I search logged in under my EBAY User ID. This seems to be a deliberate deception on the part of EBAY. What really surprised me though: when I did a couple of searches for completed auctions, a saw a number of flight helmets that I was sure I didn't see when I searched the auction listings. Fact is, I get 20-30 hits in 7 days on EBAY, yet on the forum, I get may 120 or more. I know EBAY now states that my items may not be displayed in searches which is why I would like to find some alternatives.

BTW: Sorry to hear about the import duties and taxes on the overseas buyers. It makes no sense when people are dealing in historical items. Ironic actually that some of the british and French collectors will not be able to bid on items that originated in their countries.

Of course we can bid if we want something badly enough and are prepared to eat the extra costs...I've done so myself...more than once! There is a reduced rate for importing bona fide items of "historical interest" as long as certain conditions are met including marking the package with a special code # which is required by HMC&E. ( Her Majesty's Customs & Excise)

I could not understand why a flight helmet would have 10 "views" in 5 days. I remember back in the early days of EBAY we used to search the heck out of the listigs and every once in a while, someone turned up something really cool. The lesson learned early on: if it says "flight helmet" you should probably take a look. That ratty looking P-1 that just sold for $1500 is a case in point.

EBAY's user agreement states flatly: your listings may not always be returned or displayed in a search. So I put this to the test and here's what I saw. 1- When I was logged in, and searched for "Flight helmets" all my listings were displayed TO ME. So I logged out, went to a different computer and did the same search. Fourteen pages later, my helmets did not show up. My listings almost never come up under "Best Matches" yet that Chinese guy selling motorcycle helmets has no problems.

So I called EBAY figuring they would listen to me patiently, tell me I didn't know what I was doing and that everything I know is wrong. Guess what? They didn't deny a thing; asked me if I had a question; so I asked them point blank if my listings would always be returned if I put "FLIGHT HELMET" in the title and they said "NO", and have a nice day.

I have tried to enter my web site address but it never works.

I have attached an image with the address in it. If you have any questions let me know. If you don't see something let me know... I haven't posted everything out there

post-153154-0-15311400-1408919911.png

Thanks...I have some fairly interesting helmets and right now, just trying to get everything to a place where I can make a decision: keep it; sell it; rebuild/restore it. That's why I am interested in the group's input. And why I am concerned about the listings not being seen on EBAY.

Trooper B.A.R

If and when you do decide to sell, some or all. I would consider posting them here first. E-Bay does charge you for listing and then selling. Also less chance of complaints from buyers then coming back and asking for partial reefunds to keep from posting negative feedbacks.

Trooper B.A.R

ebay does not charge you for listing. (unless you are putting all sorts of special "add-ons" in your auction)

-Brian

Been a long time since I sold anything there. I do remember being charged for listing, and I believe any pictures over 2or 3, least they use to.

• 3 weeks later...
thevespabandit

Hey everyone,

This is my first post! So woo hoo!

The thing with eBay is, you need to know the variations on the search criteria. So you need to have a few different key word searches going...

In my endless quest of looking for Helmets; (Looking for F-14 HGU-33's if they're out there btw), goes like this...

Instead of searching for 'Flight Helmet'- which unfortunately gives you helmets but all sorts of other crap that isn't relevant, attempt these key terms:
- HGU flight helmet

-Navy Flight Helmet

-PRK Flight Helmet

-APH Flight Helmet

-US Flight helmet

-Vietnam Flight Helmet etc etc

- Try using the specific helmet or item you're looking for too... including variations. Eg. HGU-55, HGU55, HGU-55/p, HGU55p etc etc

Those searches I would say cover around 99.99% of all the goodies advertised on eBay. That way you've used all the key terms people use to sell for stuff, and you'll filter out all the nonsense you don't want to see. Time consuming, but worth it... that's my 2 cents anyway :-)