WWII YMCA WARTIME LOG DIARY Infantry POW in STALAG LUFT 3

KASTAUFFER

These books are amazing and really gives you a look at what these POW's were seeing, feeling and going thru.Question: Did the Germans ever confiscate these to get information about the POW's or their unit?

As 121Eagles stated, the Germans did confiscate logs. One of the reasons the Germans let the YMCA pass them out was because they hoped the POWs would write secrets in them that they could get their hands on.

I have quite a few logs with large numbers of pages torn out. I've never known exactly why. They didn't need paper to write letters home on because the Germans passed out forms for that. They could have used the paper to forge passes for escapes, rolled cigarettes with it, or tore it out because they wrote something they didn't want the Germans to see.

Kurt

I have also read about barracks leaders telling pows to self censor or have the threat of pages being torn out if they thought a questional page would attract negative attention from the Germans. I have also read that when the guards would do a barracks search they would also look through the wartime logs.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...