I have made a terrible mistake.

Username

I made the decision to oil the leather on my ww1 usmc pack-tail but I got some oil on the fabric! what do I do? can it be removed?

RustyCanteen

My experience with oil, is that once it's in there it's pretty much stained for good.

Exactly what was it you used to oil it?

I agree, once oil stains something, it's in there for good. Best case scenario is that over time the oil MAY lighten (but never disappear).

I would be more worried about the long-term effect on the leather. There is almost no good reason for "treating" leather on historic artifacts: most of the time it provides no long term protection and may even do short term damage (discoloring the leather) or long term damage. Storage conditions probably more than anything else determine the aging process for what is basically decaying flesh.

Throughout the forum are links to the modern day takes on leather "preservation" or conservation by museum pros. Some of that info is summarized nicely in this post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24966-preserving-leather/?p=180114

RustyCanteen

I would be more worried about the long-term effect on the leather. There is almost no good reason for "treating" leather on historic artifacts: most of the time it provides no long term protection and may even do short term damage (discoloring the leather) or long term damage. Storage conditions probably more than anything else determine the aging process for what is basically decaying flesh.

Throughout the forum are links to the modern day takes on leather "preservation" or conservation by museum pros. Some of that info is summarized nicely in this post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24966-preserving-leather/?p=180114

I wholeheartedly agree.

At this point I don't think there is much that can be done though.

RC

If you want to risk it try a dish soap like dawn or some thing similar. If Im thinking correctly the oil you used is organic? Not synthetic or petroleum based?

Even Shout or Simple Green may remove it or possibly lemon juice or a citrus based degreaser.

At any rate if you decide to proceed I would say to first gently vacuum the tail piece once removed or brush it with a soft nylon brush to remove residual dirt and then pretreat withv the cleaner you want to use and hand wash in cold water and air dry.

A friend has a good report using naptha on a cloth to take out or lightly clean old canvas.

Ultimately its your item and decision. Good luck and keep us informed

do you think kitty litter alone would work? thats an idea!

it works well on wet oil spots on the driveway, but I dont know if it would work on a dry stain? you could try it, it might lift enough oil out to make it look less noticable.

Dry litter may be an option but litter is a bentonite base.Basically a clay.If you wet it it gets real slimy.

Just a little from experiance we were in South Dakota one time on motorcycles and came to road construction.Basically they tore the road out from fence line to fence line.It had been raining.The resulting road base was a mass of grey slimy mud.We had six miles of fun riding through it(if you call it riding)Dodging tire ruts 8-12 inches or more deep from semi trucks that cut into the mass of goo.Long story short we found out a lot of the base material was bentonite.A base item for kitty litter and a lubricant when wet used for drilling in the oil industry.When the grey slime dried it was like concrete stuck to the wheels and fenders let alone our leathers and boots.I love South Dakota.Never a dull moment and beautiful riding country.

Rice is a poor mans desiccant. Of course, desiccant is pretty cheap nowadays and works better than rice.

I have read that if you rub chalk or baby powder all over the oil spot.. then rinse with water the chalk/powder binds the oil and removes it.

I have not tried this so go forward cautiously.

• 6 months later...

BABY TALCUM POWDER POURED ONTO THE OILY SPOT, RUBBED INTO THE MATERIAL, SHOULD ABSORB THE ERRANT OIL RESIDUE, WITHOUT ANY TERMINAL EFFECTS ON THE CANVAS CLOTH. I HOPE THIS PROCEDURE HELPS, GIH